Duckling Hatch: Normal?

Hows the duckling doing any more progress?
The first duckling didn't make it. It never was able to get out of the egg. This morning, I checked the coop again, and there was a second dead duckling, halfway out of its egg, with the rubbery membrane still attached. I now have a third duckling working its way from the egg, and it's looking much the same (thick, yellow inner shell membrane drying around the opening, with the ducklings beak pushed through). I brought it inside and applied plain Neosporin to the exposed membrane after, then placed it in an incubator so I can better watch the rest of the process. I'm guessing that the eggs didn't get enough humidity from their moms setting on them, and the eggs are shrink wrapped. Neither hen left the nest from what I could tell (they were never wet, I never saw either of them, and their food literally began to mold without a single bite ever taken). It's been hot, and I think they just never got any moisture. I have 1-2 other potentially viable eggs still under them I'm going to wait for, and then I'm breaking up their nest. Ugh.

That sucks! My ducklings were too goopy to make it out of the egg when I incubated them. It was super weird too because they hadn't even absorbed their yolks before dying.

Hope your ducklings make it!

Hows the duckling doing any more progress?
Update: the third chick hatched out with some assistance. It was thrashing and pushing against the membrane, which I kept adding to Neosporin to and monitoring until there were no veins visible. Then, I basically freed its head and the duckling pushed out the rest of the way on its own. Unfortunately, it looks like it still has a small button of yolk attached. My new question is, I have it in a cup with a paper towel to give it time to finish absorbing the yolk, but it is thrashing to escape a lot. Will it exhaust itself and die doing this?

I've known many on here that have had to do this with their ducklings till all yolk is absorbed and haven't heard of an fatilities. Let's see if we can tag some that may have had this experience where they had to keep the duckling in a cup or small bowl.
@shawluvsbirds
@DuckyDonna
@WVduckchick
@AstroDuck
@FunnyfarmMidwest
Great to hear the little one finally made it out.

When you say thrashing do you mean just moving around and kicking? Or something more like convulsing? If you assist the hatch sometimes they will continue to move around as if they are still trying to unzip the eggs until they realize that they are free. Especially if you have them in a small cup. If it the only one you can also use a warm damp washcloth in the incubator without a cup and nest the sides up around it. I keep a separate incubator going in case I have any that need to be separated and I just use the wash cloth trick. Some can be extra feisty right off of the bat too and try to get up and moving. If it's not convulsing type thrashing I wouldn't be so concerned. A lively duckling is a good start.

Today is day 28 for my broody khaki campbells (there are 2 hens setting), and last night, two of the eggs had pipped. This morning, however, one of the eggs looks like it is almost completely missing the hard outer shell, but the duckling is still in the egg's membrane and doesn't look to have begun to open it up. I can see it in there breathing and peeping, but haven't been able to actually pick up the egg to get a closer look, as both mothers are VERY feisty over me being anywhere near their eggs. Is this normal for the duck egg hatching process, or should I help open up the thick membrane a bit? I have never hatched duck eggs, and I guess I just don't know if what I'm seeing is normal. It's only been about 12 hours since I noticed the first pips, so I thought I'd wait a bit to see what happens, but also don't want the duckling to die if it needs help. Any advice?
Update: Two healthy babies! The one that had some of its yolk not yet absorbed seems to be doing well. Strong, and walking around the brooder, eating, drinking, pooping! Most of its yolk seems to have disappeared and what’s left looks dry and unproblematic. I think having almost a full 24 hours to be alone and rest really helped! The second duckling hatched on its own this morning, and is also doing well! Phew! I’m sorry they don’t get the chance to be with a mother, but I kind of think they were responsible for the deaths of the first two to hatch in the coop (by overzealously “helping” them hatch, along with the dry conditions causing them to shrinkwrap).

So happy to have these two! I have another hen on a large nest of eggs I plan to candle tonight, and she, so far, has actually been getting off the nest to get in the pond and eat. Hopefully her eggs will have better luck with humidity and hatching (and I’ve got the incubator on standby, just in case)!

Attachments

• 57B95305-86C2-4650-ACAC-6EEBF04F6A3C.jpeg
    57B95305-86C2-4650-ACAC-6EEBF04F6A3C.jpeg
    498.4 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom