Duckling hatched with a bad leg need help advice?

That's great to hear. I had a duckling with a leg problem a couple weeks back that was full of vigor as well. I think that giving them a chance is better than just culling them as long as they aren't in pain. My duckling is now following me around the yard and doing much better. I hope that everything goes well with yours.
smile.png

I just pulled a duckling through some lameness with brewers yeast from the feed store. I put it in all the waters every day, all the feed.... she's walking now after a few weeks. I am going to try brewers yeast with a new domestic mallard rescue I just brought in today with a malformed leg. I hope this works for him too.... but he is older. The niacin in the brewers yeast is supposed to do the trick. Good luck. I hope this baby has a full and enriched life whatever the case is for his/her leg.

I second the reminder to provide nutritional support. If you cannot find brewer's yeast, get some plain niacin capsules and put 150mg per gallon of water, keep doing that for a couple of months.

Last edited:
I had a duckling hatch out just 3 days ago with the same problem (except with both feet) I made him/her a pair of shoes with an TV dinner box, I just cut out to the shape of the foot and spread the foot out over the shoe and attached with band-aids. By the next morning one of the shoes had already come off but his foot looked normal so I took the other one off. He/she is now walking around normal with the other duckies. Good Luck :)
Do you have photos you can share?

I have a rooster named forest gump, when he hatched, he could not stand. Even after the first week. His legs would collapse. He now is an adult, his toes are curled to the sides and he can only hobble around. Try gently wrapping your little guy's foot putting a bit of pressure on the foot to flatten out and the leg to straighten. Wait a few days, take the wrap off for a day then do it a tiny bit tighter he next day.

Last edited:
I have a rooster named forest gump, when he hatched, he could not stand. Even after the first week. His legs would collapse. He now is an adult, his toes are curled to the sides and he can only hobble around. Try gently wrapping your little guy's foot putting a bit of pressure on the foot to flatten out and the leg to straighten. Wait a few days, take the wrap off for a day then do it a tiny bit tighter he next day.

The OP might be long gone. This thread is 9 years old :)

We really have to watch out for the original thread date more now. I think these old threads are there for informational purposes. Or at least the ones listed at the bottom on the pages.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom