Duckling Hatched Without a Tail

Tannerpauldean

Songster
Feb 1, 2018
Randolph County, North Carolina
I just finished hatching my first clutch of eggs, and I am so happy with the results. We had a 60% hatch rate from the fertile eggs, which gave us 14 ducks. The hatching process lasted from day 27 thru day 31, and one of the last ducks hatched had some trouble. It seems to have been born without a tail of any sort, which is causing some balance issues. Does anyone have any experience with tailess ducks? Should I be concerned about its adult life?
20180601_210447.jpg
56396c25-cd55-4192-9586-270c767b5a9b.gif

I had a duckling that kept getting stuck upside down recently. I placed him in a high sided plastic cup lined with paper towels for a few hours. This seemed to totally solve the problem and he didn't get stuck again. There wasnoi tail issue however.

I'm interested to read if anyone else tried this.

Someone else had a duckling hatch with out a tail sure wish I could remember who it was. Sure is a cute you have there.
I did see a post where someone had to amputate the tail of a call duckling. I am not sure how that duck turned out.

I think this is one of the cutest ducks I have ever seen. I am think of calling it Rumpy-stiltskin.

I had a duckling that kept getting stuck upside down recently. I placed him in a high sided plastic cup lined with paper towels for a few hours. This seemed to totally solve the problem and he didn't get stuck again. There wasnoi tail issue however.

I'm interested to read if anyone else tried this.
How old was the duckling when you tried this?

Back
Top Bottom