DUCKLING HATCHING AT THE OTHER END, NOT ABSORBING YOLK FAST ENOUGH HELP!!!

Virus

Songster
6 Years
May 21, 2015
Kentucky
I have a ducklimg that's been in critical watch since Friday at 5:00. It's hatch at the opposite end of the egg. I made ut a breathing hole and it's been sitting trying to absorb it's yolk sac but I think it's position is not letting donit fast enough. It's in tbe position where it's legs and the yolk sac are pressed up against the air cell membrane and there's an open part there I made looking for its bill. One of its legs just broke the membran at the back of the egg and now yolk sack is leaking out!!!!! What do I do!? The duckling has absorbed all of its veins the yolk was all that was left and I think it's position was affecting its ability to pull it in. How do I help it!? I took a damp peice of toilet paper and pressed it against the tear and the leg to keep to from pushing out any further and taped it against the egg. Inread about chicjs and duckling surviving being born with their yolk still out but I don't know how to start helping. Also should I have the duckling hatch I r leave him in the shell? Please help!!!

It lived through the night. This morning it's been very lively, it starts peeping suddenly like it's excited then it pushes at the shell above it's head. I think it wants to hatch. I removed the make-shift band aid and most of the fluid that was back there seems drained (looking back now it wasn't yolk that was draining it was just regular fluid which I'm relived about). Is it safe to hatch the duckling? I can't tell how much yolk is left if any and I can't go by the veins since those disappeared a long time ago It seems like it really want to hatch. Is it telling me it's ready? Here's a pic of the area where it broke and you could see the yolk, does it look like it's safe for hatch? That orange nub is part of its leg.

I've never hatched ducklings but I have hatched chicks. I know your not suppose to "help" the chick out of the egg shell, unless it's all the way out and there a piece stuck. It doesn't look ready to me, looks like since he's in a weird postion he didn't have enough room for his legs, so his legs pushed and made that hole. When he is ready he will start to peck where his head is at. Hope this helps.

I've been keeping that area moist. I don't think it's ready either but ot seems to disagree, it's starting to jerk around and is making cracks.

That's a good sign I would let nature do its thing, unless the yolk starts to harden. That's when you would need to start to break the egg carefully.

I've been having a terrible time with turkeys this year, several situations like your duckling. My solution was to peel them out myself and have a happy healthy chick, rather than let them perish in the egg.

The egg is marked when it pips, if it hasn't hatched within 24hrs the egg is peeled off.

We lost the duckling. She hatched out all on her own and had very little of her yolk left, like a little pink nub. She was kicked and peeping and seemed fine and healthy. I left her to dry off and rest and I came back about 20 mins later to check on her and she was dead. We were dumbfounded until I opened her mouth. There was this murky, white, sticky substance in her mouth which we think she must have chocked on. IT must have been something she threw up since there wasn't anything near her head for her to get at.

We lost the duckling. She hatched out all on her own and had very little of her yolk left, like a little pink nub. She was kicked and peeping and seemed fine and healthy. I left her to dry off and rest and I came back about 20 mins later to check on her and she was dead. We were dumbfounded until I opened her mouth. There was this murky, white, sticky substance in her mouth which we think she must have chocked on. IT must have been something she threw up since there wasn't anything near her head for her to get at.
Malpositioned hatches can get fluid in their lungs and literally drown them, even after hatch. Not to mention it can cause other such related problems.

Back
Top Bottom