Duckling having night terrors...?

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I don't know what else to call it! Bean has this thing where, in the middle of the night, she'll shriek and start flopping around her pen for a few moments before snapping to. It started when she was still sick, and to be honest, when it did I thought she was in her death throes...she really was that close to dying back then. :/ But it's been pretty continual even now that she's thriving, three weeks later.

Now, it's not a seizure, and it only happens at night, which is weird. She naps throughout the day, but I've never seen her do it then. And I've never seen it happen start to finish since I always get woken up by it and can only catch the last few seconds of frantic squawking! It's almost as if something scary or painful has snapped her out of sleep and she bumbles around scared and disoriented until she's fully awake. Then she just stands there and looks around all confused.

This is bizarre, and it's got me a little worried. Is she accidentally pulling on a sensitive bloodfeather? Does she have bad dreams? DO ducks even dream?!

I have two 3 week old Cayugas and one of them is doing this exact same thing! Were you ever able to solve it/cure it? It always happens at night and seems to happen when they have been asleep. She squealing and then darts around the brooder while real low to the ground. It always takes me a minute to calm her down. I have been adding brewers yeast to their food, so I don’t know what could be wrong with her diet.

Back
Top Bottom