Duckling head bump

Rhyahcf

Chirping
Sep 9, 2017
Hi,
We set and hatched 13 duck eggs this month and they all hatched this weekend. However, the last one to hatch, It also pipped the wrong end, came out with a growth like thing on its head. It is not doing too well, either. It’s trying to be a duckling, but it’s almost like it can’t hold up its head well and just lays and sleeps and kind of scoots rather than walks. Is it a lost cause and I should cull it? Anyone seen a bump on a ducklings head like this before?

Attachments

• 5F786DC5-B3F5-4F17-BE5E-04B22A18715D.jpeg
    5F786DC5-B3F5-4F17-BE5E-04B22A18715D.jpeg
    595.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 7711FE34-04F0-428F-AD7B-13B7F545A0DE.jpeg
    7711FE34-04F0-428F-AD7B-13B7F545A0DE.jpeg
    590.5 KB · Views: 35
If you gently palpate the bump, that may provide clues to as what it might be.

A crest, which is actually a lipoma (tumor) will have a doughy/hard feeling.
An abscess, which could occur if the duckling scraped its head on the shell would likely have a soft/liquid feel to the area.
It could also be some sort of genetic abnormities the caused proliferation in the cells forming the bump. It is hard to say with any certainty what it might be online.

Thank you guys for your help. We did get two crested ducklings. We have one crested female and we were hoping some of the ducklings would be hers. They didn’t have the bump, just the little Afro. Unfortunately, he started to struggle greatly a couple hours after I posted. He acted like whatever it was was too
heavy to hold his head upright and then he began to shake, almost seizure like, and didn’t stop so we decided to not let him suffer.

Thank you guys for your help. We did get two crested ducklings. We have one crested female and we were hoping some of the ducklings would be hers. They didn’t have the bump, just the little Afro. Unfortunately, he started to struggle greatly a couple hours after I posted. He acted like whatever it was was too
heavy to hold his head upright and then he began to shake, almost seizure like, and didn’t stop so we decided to not let him suffer.
You did the kindest thing :hugs.

Back
Top Bottom