duckling health issues

688peterl

Songster
10 Years
Oct 2, 2009
I know i already asked this once but i cant find the thread so blah...

anyways, my ducks keep sneezing! and thats not the only thing, they keep eating eachothers poop, surely that cant be normal!?

the sneezing thing started a while back, well since they hatched, they shake their heads and make a "puff" sound as if trying to blow something out of their nose, their waterer is deep enough for them to wash their nostrils out so i dont think they have anything stuck but they keep doing it! why? one thing that might be worth mentioning is that i have a giraffe teddy in the brooder with them and it has a line of fur up its back which i have seen them pecking at, maybe they are getting the fur from the giraffe stuck in their throats or something, should i take it out? another thing that might be causing it is peices of cotton... because im using old duvet covers that i have cut up as bedding in the brooder and i have seen them pecking at the dangly peices of cotton too, but i try my best to cut all the dangly cotton off.

Or is the "sneezing" thing normal for ducks?

Now onto the poop...

the ducklings food bowl is never empty because it says in my book to give them as much feed as they want until 2 weeks of age so they always have food, but they keep pecking, maybe eating, eachothers poop!, everytime i see a poop i clean it up with toilet roll and when i put my hand in to wipe it up they start pecking me like 'hey we were tryna eat that'

as i said in your last post... sneezing is normal.... baby ducks do that all the time. I had a pekin who sneezed all the time for weeks. I think it has something to do with being in the egg. Don't worry about it... Just allow them to have just enough water to dip their beaks into. they'll blow it out and be just fine. and ducks eat poop, it IS normal... haven't you looks in the "gross truth about ducks" topic yet? this got 7 pages of poop eating comments. lol.

Mine especially like to eat poop when there swimming.... one of the gross things about ducks. A friend of mine who has Khaki Campbells said that the dog follows the duck and eats the duck poop. It is just something animals do.

Back
Top Bottom