Duckling Help!

Creaty

Hatching
Jun 6, 2020
Hello,

I’m in need of some guidance, while walking our dog we found a duckling (no more than a couple of days old) in the middle of The sidewalk struggling to walk (one of his legs seems hurt).

We walked for a couple of hours looking for the mom to no avail.We know if we left him outside he wouldn’t make it past a couple more hours.

We brought him inside for now with the hopes of finding the mom tomorrow but if she doesn’t appear the idea is to care for him while his leg heals.

We live in the middle of the city with no backyard.
Need some help regarding how should we take care of him.

All the info we’ve found seems to be tailored towards people with more space for them.
For now we have it in a box with a blanket for warmth.

any help is appreciated, thanks in advance

Welcome to BYC! 🐣

I would get him to a rescue as soon as possible. For now, what have you been feeding him? Can you get a heat lamp? Can you send a picture of the setup and a pic or vid of his leg?

Where are you located? I need to know that to advise on possible stores like Tractor supply. If you can get some duck starter food that would be great. Make sure he has access to water and can wash his little eyes and nares out. I use a cool whip container and cut the lid.
IMG_1884.JPG

Welcome to BYC! 🐣

I would get him to a rescue as soon as possible. For now, what have you been feeding him? Can you get a heat lamp? Can you send a picture of the setup and a pic or vid of his leg?
I’m not sure there’s a rescue here. But we’re near Miami in case there’s one nearby.

As for the heat lamp, this just happened earlier today and we don’t have one.

Where are you located? I need to know that to advise on possible stores like Tractor supply. If you can get some duck starter food that would be great. Make sure he has access to water and can wash his little eyes and nares out. I use a cool whip container and cut the lid. View attachment 2180737

How much water can does he need access to?

Space is limited.

Apparently they don’t open on Sunday so, we will have to care of him for today.

In terms of food what household foods can we feed him, lettuce, bread etc..

Apparently they don’t open on Sunday so, we will have to care of him for today.

In terms of food what household foods can we feed him, lettuce, bread etc..
I've got company and have been off BYC for a few days and sure wish I'd seen this question! Lettuce and bread are probably the worst things you can feed a duck. Unless the lettuce is romaine. Neither have any nutritional value for poultry at all.

I'd have gotten some chick starter or a little bag of Purina duck pellets but another option would have been scrambled eggs.

I'm sure your little one is gone to the rehab by now but I just wanted to let you know in case it happens again in the future.

Back
Top Bottom