Duckling help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tgregory, Mar 24, 2013.

1. tgregory

tgregory New Egg

Mar 23, 2013
    Florida
    I got a new baby duck yesterday and last night he decided to rip my nose ring out and swallow it before I could figure out how to get it out if his mouth without hurting him, he is acting fine but Im afraid he won't be able to pass it and it may damage his insides. I know ducks eat odd things here and there but idk about this, any advice?

2. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    How scary! I have piercings too but luckily my duck isn't interested. Do you have a animal hospital you can go to?

3. carcar80

carcar80 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2013
    GA, US
    Was it a hoop or stud? I would just watch, be sure plenty of water is available to keep that gut moving. Not sure what else could be done at this point. I'm gonna be an optimist and bet he/she will do just fine. Would be nice if it weren't such a youngin' though. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  4. tgregory

tgregory New Egg

Mar 23, 2013
    Florida
    My other ducks peck at my jewelry but usually leave it alone after a few tugs. It was a stud but he seems to be doing fine running around chasing the dog and eating and drinking fine so hopefully alright and unfortunately no one around me sees ducks :(

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    In Storeys guide to raising ducks there is a part about Hardware disease and esophagus impactation, I would take the duckling to the vet asap. these things can get lodged in the esophgus or gizzard. Not something you want to sit around and wait to see if it's going to pass. They can Xray and see where this stud is located. Don't want to frighten you but it is serious.

6. tgregory

tgregory New Egg

Mar 23, 2013
    Florida
    Thank you for the advice I was worried about it getting lodged and puncturing something vital

7. smccuen

smccuen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Western NC
    Make sure he has food and water available. Keep an eye out for the jewelry in his poop. It's up to you whether you want the huge expense of taking a duckling to the vet. I hope he'll be fine.

8. carcar80

carcar80 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2013
    GA, US
    Any update, tgregory? I hope baby is doing just fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by