Duckling ID

Birddog1148

Songster
11 Years
Mar 8, 2012
Sandusky Ohio
PXL_20230529_210327553.jpg

I suppose it is possible that my Khaki Campbell ducks hatched an egg in secret. Otherwise can anyone ID this duckling? Found it in my driveway and my ducks are the only ones in the neighborhood. At least 3 or 4 blocks from water. With trash pandas and feral cats about I figured I should intervene. Persuaded someone to sell me one duckling so I had at least two to raise together.

It's a wood duck duckling. Probably jumped late and lost his mama. I'd recommend taking it to a rescue, or you can try checking on water areas nearby to see if you can find his mom and siblings. Sometimes the baby will get in with his family and make it ok.
I'd separate him from the domestic ducklings asap, they'll end up trampling him.

I just had one in there so it wasn't alone, now I need to try to get a mate for that one
It's a wood duck duckling. Probably jumped late and lost his mama. I'd recommend taking it to a rescue, or you can try checking on water areas nearby to see if you can find his mom and siblings. Sometimes the baby will get in with his family and make it ok.
I'd separate him from the domestic ducklings asap, they'll end up trampling him.

Well crap, it was fine when I left for work this morning, expired when I got home 😔
He was left behind for a reason. It's frequently because they just hatched a tad late, but it can also be that the hen knew something was wrong with it and left them on purpose. It wasn't your fault. He still would have been living off the yolk anyway, so it was probably an internal or genetic issue.

Back
Top Bottom