Duckling Infected/broken leg??

BeccaV

Songster
May 27, 2019
Brusly, LA
@Isaac 0 @Miss Lydia

Hi everyone. This little guy's mom was taken by a predator. I discovered his leg situation right after that when I went to check on him and his siblings. They are roughly 2 weeks old

The black skin on the bottom of its foot was peeled back from the tissue. There was a flap of skin hanging down. Also, his dew claw was gone. At first I thought he got into some kind of accident but now I'm wondering if he has a deformity from birth.

His mother was very secretive when they first hatched and they did not come around much.

Do his legs/wings look normal? Was it niacin deficiency? He is eating Purina duck pellets now and I've been giving him poultry cell for 4 days. This has helped tremendously.

Other treatment so far has been vetericyn, daily warm baths and murioprocyn ointment along with poultry cell in his water.

The bottom of his foot is healing up and he has come a long way but it is very swollen.

What do y'all think? Is there anything else I could be doing? Was this an accident or birth defect? I can't

el anything out of place along his leg. He is eating and drinking really well. View attachment 3171257
20220701_202800.jpg
20220701_202635.jpg

Bless it's heart. Looks like an injury to me sounds like your taking good care and it's improving. And so precious.
is he able to stand up on his legs and feet flat?
I've heard good things about poultry cell so I'd def keep him on it.

Bless it's heart. Looks like an injury to me sounds like your taking good care and it's improving. And so precious.
Thanks for your response.

Although he does try to put weight on it, he is not able to stand flat. I had cut most of the excess of the flap of skin that was dangling from the foot when I first discovered it. The bit that was left seems to have bunched up, forming a rounded wad near the toes.

@Miss Lydia
This is his progression. There is no skin between his toes and the outside toe is curling over. He's still on the poultry cell. What to do?

Attachments

• 20220705_063414.jpg
    20220705_063414.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220705_063315.jpg
    20220705_063315.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 4
My goodness what could have happened to this little one? you can make a little shoe to place the foot on to get the toes to lay normal. Take a plastic container of some kind cool whip makes a good one. Cut it to fit the foot wrap in tape to cover sharp edges then place the foot onto it and wrap vet [TSC]wrap works great because it sticks to itself not skin. This will keep the foot flat and toes from curling. As for webbing sloughing off It makes me think of frostbite but you being in LA don't see that happening. Is the skin open like a wound? can he use this foot at all?
Make sure the toes are laying flat before you wrap.

My goodness what could have happened to this little one? you can make a little shoe to place the foot on to get the toes to lay normal. Take a plastic container of some kind cool whip makes a good one. Cut it to fit the foot wrap in tape to cover sharp edges then place the foot onto it and wrap vet [TSC]wrap works great because it sticks to itself not skin. This will keep the foot flat and toes from curling. As for webbing sloughing off It makes me think of frostbite but you being in LA don't see that happening. Is the skin open like a wound? can he use this foot at all?
Make sure the toes are laying flat before you wrap.
The skin seems dry. Not wet like an open wound.
Where the sloughing ends, going up his hock, there is a small area that looks a little raw. He doesn't seem to pay much attention to it aside from biting at the shedding skin.
Will his webbing grow back? His other foot is a little flaky too but nothing like this.
Yes he can stand but he's is not distributing his weight evenly. In fact, he took off running a few minutes ago when he saw his brothers. He doesn't run very long and he just sits down. I will try the shoe.
Do you still think this is from an injury?

I am not sure what would have caused it. I originally thought an injury but honestly I just don't know. I don't think the webbing will grow back but he should adapt to not having it. They are amazing at how well they adapt to a handicap. If there is any raw places try soaking in some warm Epsom salt water just his foot though so he doesn't drink the water. Then apply something like Veterycin spray since it will dry fast and won't accumulate debris like an ointment would when he is out running around.
@Isaac 0
@CoriM
@Quatie

Back
Top Bottom