Duckling Injuries

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by madditremaine, Oct 28, 2014.

1. madditremaine

madditremaine Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2014
    Lyles Tennessee
    My duckling (who is a fully fledged house duck. No, no. She's not full grown, she is a member of the family, so she is a very happy house duck) got her foot stuck in the door while my dad who was visiting was coming throught the house and opened and then closed the door not knowing she was there (the duckling) She has a really nasty purple/blue blood bliser like bump on her web. She favors the foot, but doesn't react when I touch it. Its very strange, and I don't know what to do. :/

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So sorry about your baby. I would think as long as nothing is broken and she is not in shock, she will heal over time. I wouldn't do anything to it or her as long as she is able to eat, drink and otherwise acts normal.

If she starts to get worse, you might post this in our Ducks or Emergency section for more help...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck and I hope she makes a full recovery!

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your injured duckling. [​IMG]The injury doesn't sound too serious, and she'll probably be fine with the right treatment and some healing time. For information on treating her, I would definitely post in the Emergencies section of the forums.

Good luck with her!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry to hear about your duckling![​IMG] You've received some good advice above. Good luck with her!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! hope your duckling is OK.

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Good luck with your duckling![​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sounds like she wasn't stuck for more than a short time, so I don't think you need to worry about gangrene setting in. Hopefully she will recover just fine. I don't know if poultry can be treated with ice packs like people use but, I think if she is confined and can't move around too much - she will heal faster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by