duckling just hatched cant pick head up help please

zachbelle

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 16, 2014
i have a duckling who just finally made it out its first pip was wens morning at 930 so its been 50some odd hours i honestly didnt think he was even going to make it out he was this first to pip then he continued to make his hole bigger but never really zipped until today and that was very slow going compared to the restad i thought he was stuck and could turn he managed to partially zip and break out on his own i was attempted to assist but wanted him to do it himself im glad i waited but he cannot lift his head hes moving chirping and trying like hell to get upright but cannot lift its head tried to push with his bill and his feet and body but its like his neck isnt working....what can i do? could it just be sore from a long hard hatch and come out of it? also if they have all hatched do i still leave them in the bator to dryor let them dry in the brooder under heat lamp?

should i drop the humidity or anything? they are making me nervous cause they keep bumping the heating element

ok so as im getting a better look i dont think its his neck...his foot is still bent up and he cannot move that i think he was trying to use his bill to push himself....will this come out of it on its own?

I had a chick that did this, she took 1 day and a half to hatch. She didn't move for 3 hours until she dried off, and then she started hobbling around the incubator. It might be the same deal, but again I'm not an awesome duck expert, but I hope this helps.

My new born ducklings cant ever lift their heads up, either. In fact, im staring at a new born right now! With my experience, they will lift their heads up when they are stronger. It takes time, but they will. I hope this helps!

the rest of them are able to lift there heads and move after a short period of time but after closer inspection it is his foot that is still curled up which is why he is having trouble im goping after some rest it will come out of it

Back
Top Bottom