Duckling killed; Dogs and Basket Muzzles- Suggestions?

Lydia

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
I'm considering outfitting my two dachshunds with basket muzzles for the safety of my chickens and ducklings. For those of you that use these for your dogs- do you have any advice or suggestions about fitting or use? If you don't like the idea of a basket muzzle, any suggestions on something else to use to keep the dogs from clamping down on the poultry?

Last week while I was at work my daughters -10 and 13 years old- left the porch door and the gate open that separates the chicks and ducklings from the rest of the porch. Both my dachshunds got out on the porch and one of them killed one of my two cayuga ducklings and the other dachshund was attempting to get at the second duckling. My daughters weren't able to hear any of this happening because they had the TV on at top volume. I came home to find my duckling bleeding profusely on the back porch and held her as she died. To say that this was completely devestating for me is an understatement and I don't want to take any chances with the lives of my chickens and ducks. Like others have posted, at first I wanted the dogs gone because I was angry with them that this had happened. When I am home I am monitoring everything constantly and always make sure the doors and gate are properly closed. But I do realize that the dogs were only doing what dogs do when given the opportunity, which my daughters gave to them without thinking.

I want all my animals to live happy, healthy lives in my care so I have a feeling the basket muzzles would help if there is a minute chance that the dogs would be outside, supervised, with the chickens and ducks. I don't want to have to keep my dogs in the house all the time because that isn't fair to them. The dogs need to adjust to the presence of the chickens and ducks being here but that doesn't mean that they aren't going to be tempted to do what comes naturally to them. I just want to be realistic about how to handle this situation.

Try and look for the greyhound muzzles (rubber/plastic coated wire), I don't know if they make them small enough for dachschunds. The purely plastic ones are much more confining and make it difficult to drink.

Oh, I am so sorry for your losses. What a terrible experience for you. I am not sure that the muzzles are recommended for long term wear, (like all day) maybe someone else will weigh in on that. The muzzle may keep them from biting, but not chasing or harassing. I think your babies could still be at risk.

Can you build a fence or put up a hot wire or an electric fence to keep the dogs out of the duck area? Keeping them separate but safe?

Anne

I would not want to have the dogs in a muzzle all day because I cannot leave them outside that long without one of my dachshunds digging under the fence and taking off to who knows where. Right now when the dogs need to go outside, I just put the ducks in their pool and then supervise everyone until the dogs have had a chance to run around and go potty. I have a feeling that they would still chase but when I take them outside now they sniff the duck pool for a few moments and then take off to do their thing. That doesn't mean their interest in the ducks would be the same if they were running around the yard.

I've considered the fencing but I'm not sure how my husband feels about it. I'll talk to him about it again today.

The dogs have been high maintenance since we got them and sometimes I feel like I made the wrong decision adopting them. But since I made the commitment, I need to follow through.

Good for you for wanting to follow through rather than instantly giving up!

I frequently use basket muzzles on the foster dogs running around here, especially for dogs with dog aggression issues. I buy my muzzles from National Greyhound Association -- but my dogs are a lot bigger than yours! Dogs CAN wear basket muzzles all day if needed, because the dogs can pant and drink (and also bark!) with them on.

You can buy basket muzzles at large pet stores like PetSmart, but you might have trouble finding any that have long enough muzzles for dachsies while still being small enough for their little heads.

Try going through these links:

http://www.google.com/search?q=dach...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom