Duckling Losing Down

sweetshoplady

Songster
11 Years
Feb 4, 2008
Venice, Florida
One of my ducklings has lost his down on his belly. His tummy looks weird. Everybody else's tummy looks fluffy and soft and his is bare. He's also lost some down on his thighs.

Can ducks get mange? Is it possibe he got bit by ants and scratched the down off?

I'll get a pic up tomorrow if that would help.

Mine lost some too. Seems fine. Funniest thing, I just looked out in the yard and a bird is picking up duck feathers to take back to its nest! Now that seems funny!

0430090855.jpg

Here's her tummy. Other than missing down she's fine and normal. Just looks really weird. I didn't realize that duclings had seams.

I have 11 ducklings 1 week old today. I let them play in the water and a few hours later I noticed 1 duckling with down missing on the back of neck and on its back. The strange thing is it is the largest of the group and seems weird that he'd be the one getting picked on.... I'm gonna try to observe them and see if thats the case, otherwise I don't know what is causing this to happen. Are they too young for the down to fall out?

no mine had that same stuff on their bellies and they came out fine. I think they get it from swimming a lot.

Back
Top Bottom