1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckling on the way

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by perrypoo, Feb 8, 2016.

1. perrypoo

perrypoo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2015
    Hi I'm expecting ducklings. My dad keeps saying that we are going to have to separate any male ducklings, because my drake lemon might try to kill them is that true? Do I have to build another co-op?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Lemon needs to be watched with all the ducklings, actually. As far as I know, those drakes who decide to harm ducklings do not discriminate based on sex. They will go after any of them, if the drakes are aggressive.

The ducklings need a brooder with the proper temperature and environment to grow up safely.

Have you seen the Raising Ducklings sticky? In blue at the top of the Duck Forum index.

3. perrypoo

Dec 8, 2015
    Ok thank you I'll watch him he loves attention. And I have not seen the raising duckling sticky

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Your female duck is hatching ? you should separate mama and her ducklings from the drake for at least 3 weeks just divide their house and fix it so Lemon can see mom and ducklings but he cant get to them. Once ducklings are around 3 weeks old they will be able to get out of the drakes way but you'll still need to keep an eye on him. I wouldn't have a drake and ducklings closed up in a pen together. Just too risky. Out foraging in the yard with supervision would probably be okay after 3 weeks.

5. perrypoo

Dec 8, 2015
    That's seems like a good idea. I might just do that because he's starting to get really agressive

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Let us know how it goes!

7. perrypoo

Dec 8, 2015
    I have good feeling the ducklings will be here sometime this week

8. perrypoo

Dec 8, 2015
    Hi I just caught my duck cannibalizing her eggs,the ones I saw slight cracks in. So I just canndled them 1 with cracks(i threw it out) but I saw one that was really far along, but completely blacked out. I didn't see an air sac is it dead?

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It maybe dead @perrypoo I am not sure why some ducks do this maybe they sense something is wrong. I had a duck attack one of her ducklings when it hatched. Candle again before tossing though. Do you mean the outside of the egg is blk? did you smell it or does her nest have a rotten smell?

10. perrypoo

Dec 8, 2015
    The inside is blacked out. It doesn't smell rotten. The eggs that are growing is fine. Its just one I can't find the air sac

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by