Duckling rejected by parents

Pipit, it sounds like you are doing all the right things. Such a shame about the other two eggs, but that is life I guess.

From what you have now said about PJ's general terrorising (hope that's not too strong a word), dare I suggest another option? Perhaps if the duckling's character is a little more placid (if a drake) or if it turns out to be a girl, then it might be a better fit with your overall flock than PJ? What I am saying is, perhaps in the long term, PJ might be the one needing rehoming, and the duckling eventually be Penny's new companion when grown (whether male or female)?

It sounds like you love all your birds very much, including PJ and I hope I am not crossing the line... just thinking of all the options to help you out. (I feel a bit sorry for your little bantam
sad.png
and if your rooster is not up to protecting his ladies, then PJ's attentions will be horrible for them. Did you know that roosters do not actually penetrate the hen when they mate, but drakes have a long squiggly appendage that goes right in? Hens are not built for this. OK, getting too graphic now
wink.png
)

I have my own dilemma at the moment. I currently have two drakes and two ducks, and I need to rehome one of the drakes. Since they were all raised together from eggs, and are family pets, it will break my heart, but I know it has to be done to get the right balance for my bird family. I keep my ducks and chickens together and I dread to think that my poor hens will be subject to an over-amorous drake when he matures and there are not enough ducks to keep him busy.

Only you know what is right for your birds. I wish you all the best.
smile.png

Looking at my One Drake Muscovy, He would need more than 2 ducks to keep him busy or I'd hate to see what the 2 girls would look like after a week with him. My other Drake isn't able to be with the girls that much because of macho man Ernie, I have 6 girls.

Back
Top Bottom