Duckling spinning in circles

Duckies321

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2022
Hi everyone,
I have a 4 day old muscovy duckling. He is blind. But he has started spinning in backwards circles. He has always done it a bit since he hatched but now hes doing it all the time and doesn't seem to be able to walk straight. He always spins to his right and backwards. When he had just hatched he would spin for a bit then walk farwards towards me. Yesterday he would spin for even longer then kinda start walking normally but not for long until he starts spinning again. It might possibly be something neurological as he is already blind but has anyone got anything else it might be? When he is spinning he doesnt look upset at all, hes just skidding in circles.

Last edited:
It sounds neurological. I think you need to hope for the best but prepare yourself that you might lose it.

You were doing all the right things yesterday: continue to keep the little one safe and warm with food and water available. Keep his companion with him unless there is any problem with the companion pecking him or the like.

So i have found out some new things. 1 is that ducky walks almost perfectly fine in his lightbox. I think (this is just a guess) that ducky uses his heat bulb as a reference point. I think he can see some measure of brightness and darkness and so the bright spot (his bulb) is the center and he works out where everything is from there as I always put food and water bowels in the same spot so he can learn where they go. I thijk when you place him on thhe ground he spins to look for his reference point but there is none so he spins for a while longer then stops and because he is siting on a world or darkness he has absolutely no idea where to go so he sits and waits just confused. Im going to try an experiment. I will put a lamp with a lightbulb on the ground next to him so thats his reference point and then let him get used to it then see how he goes. I really hope thats whats going on! He is such a georgous little ducky💕

A few years back a member posted about one of her ducks being blind and another of her ducks had taken up being this blind ducks seeing eye duck. I'd try putting another duckling with this one and after they bond it will probably help this little one find food and water easier. This little one will never be able to forage on it's own but making a safe place for it and a companion outside where it can act like a duck but be safe would be a good idea.
Ducks adapt well, I have a Muscovy female who is blind in one eye it took her quite a while to adapt but she has.

Little ducky looking sooo much better!!! He has almost completely stopped spinning!! I put him in a cold pool and he just spinned and cheeped so I put him in the warm bath and he had so much fun splashing and drinking and flapping his little stubby wings. He seems to spin if he feels lonely or scared or cold. I don't know why that would make him spin though? Little guy seems really good!

Back
Top Bottom