Duckling still absorbing yolk after 3 days

Chickendaddy92

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2022
I hatched some ducklings a few days ago and one hatched still absorbing the yolk. I figured it would finish and the umbilical cord would fall off so I left her in the incubator. Well that was 3 days ago and I'm thinking I'm going to have to do something here soon. It seems she pulled the yolk out with her and it got stuck to the outside of the egg so she's dragging the egg with her too. Thus far I have not done anything. I'm considering cutting it because I'm afraid of her getting sepsis. Any advice? What should I do?

In the picture you can see the cord and the thing stuck on the egg is the yolk.

Attachments

• 20230601_181759.jpg
    20230601_181759.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 67
Can you take her out of the bator and get clearer photos of what's going on?

At 3 days, she's going to need some fluids and food. Hopefully @Miss Lydia or @shawluvsbirds can chime in as well.
I have her separated from the other ducklings with food and water now. It seems like the umbilical cord is starting to dry up. Parts of it are turning white. Can take clear pics after work.

Best thing to do when one hatches with yolk still absorbing is place the duckling into a cup on a dry paper towel so she won't drag the yolk sac and cause it to burst open. [In the bator] Hopefully the cord is drying and will fall off on it's own. Is the duckling eating and drinking okay?

Best thing to do when one hatches with yolk still absorbing is place the duckling into a cup on a dry paper towel so she won't drag the yolk sac and cause it to burst open. [In the bator] Hopefully the cord is drying and will fall off on it's own. Is the duckling eating and drinking okay?
I put her in a small cardboard box by herself and gave her some food and water. Doing fine so far.

Pretty sure because she's still attached to it
The yolk should be yellow at the navel then the cord at the end of the cord will be a clump of goo usually green/ brown
Can you post pic of babies belly
I didn’t see yolk in the picture just the cord and gunk at the end of it
The cord itself wouldn’t get hard like it needs to in order to fall off of left in the bator in the humid air
Once moved to brooder is when they dry up and fall off

The yolk should be yellow at the navel then the cord at the end of the cord will be a clump of goo usually green/ brown
Can you post pic of babies belly
I didn’t see yolk in the picture just the cord and gunk at the end of it
The cord itself wouldn’t get hard like it needs to in order to fall off of left in the bator in the humid air
Once moved to brooder is when they dry up and fall off
The yolk in the pic is stuck on the outside of the egg. Will check on her after work

Back
Top Bottom