Duckling Swim

JennKH

In the Brooder
May 26, 2022
I read somewhere that Ducklings can swim at hatch, but they haven't yet developed the oil on their feathers unless they hatched under a mother duck. I found 3 ducklings, they are 10 days old, if they go back to the water, can they stay on the water for a long time? or they lost the oil since they have been handled by human?

Ducklings don't start producing enough their oil on their own until they are about a month old. A mother duck will rub her oil unto the ducklings when they go swimming. If they are 10 days old, they do not have their mothers oil on them anymore I wouldn't think. They can still swim, just not as long.

What do you mean when you found them?

My house face a lake (not a real one) there are a lot of ducks live here. sometimes ducklings get separated from mom and I bring them inside and take care of them for 3 to 4 weeks before letting them go back to the water (I raised 22 ducklings since 2020). One pekin duck hatches babies every year and none of them survive. She hatched 9 ducklings a week ago and they all disappeared in 2 days. 3 of them got stock in chicken wire in my yard and I decided to keep them for couple of weeks until they are big enough to survive. Mom duck was upset for a day, but she seems okay now, I let her see the ducklings everyday. Ducklings are bigger now, and i don't think the catfish can eat them. I wanted to let them go back to the mom. I was concern if they can swim for a long time. I built a ramp for them, but not sure if they use it. I don't want to keep them for too long until they don't recognize their mom and vice versa. what do you suggest?

of course, I have a outdoor play area with a small pool ready for them and the mom doesn't go anywhere, I feed her every day multiple times to make sure she stay and when I bring the ducklings out, I can see they communicate. I will leave them in the play area and see if the mom comes near and then I will open the door to let them out. I pray to Saint Francis of Assisi and I am sure they are protected. So far never failed. They are all healthy and swimming in the lake happy. I know my neighbor hate it (too many ducks), but I can't help it.

Back
Top Bottom