duckling thrown away by mama duck, why?

saydeei

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2020
hi, my pekin/runner mix just hatched her first ducklings about three days ago, and today I witnessed one of her ducklings running away from her, then her catching it by its neck and throwing it, then leaving it there. it’s still alive, but is having issues walking, it’s right leg doesn’t seem to respond as well, and it seems like it has scoliosis, but it’s still been eating drinking and chirping, so i have two questions: will it be ok, and why did my duck hurt it like this?
thanks!
(photos attached)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 27
Who knows what goes on in the mind of a duck even a mama duck. I had a mama duck kill one duckling as it was hatching and try to kill another that was hatched. I had to rescue the lil one from her.
Get it on some good feed and add some Nutritional yeast sprinkled over top 1 TAB per cup of feed. Hopefully it will recover after a few days of rest but I wouldn't think I'd put it back with mama.

Who knows what goes on in the mind of a duck even a mama duck. I had a mama duck kill one duckling as it was hatching and try to kill another that was hatched. I had to rescue the lil one from her.
Get it on some good feed and add some Nutritional yeast sprinkled over top 1 TAB per cup of feed. Hopefully it will recover after a few days of rest but I wouldn't think I'd put it back with mama.
ok! it’s doing better walking now, i’ve had him with me and he’s been pretty good at climbing but his spine is definitely curved

he’s been like this since i found him

Attachments

• CB2C36C7-A35E-4FE9-9EF9-88DA1AECA0C1.jpeg
    CB2C36C7-A35E-4FE9-9EF9-88DA1AECA0C1.jpeg
    293.9 KB · Views: 28
What do you mean? acting like what? I just see a tiny duckling in your hand. lol Tail turned to the left some? can you post a video so we can see how this little one moves around?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom