Duckling vomiting???

Oh, they are so cute! I love the names too, they go very well with each other. The duck on the left in the last picture has the most adorable expression. You must have so much fun with them. Thanks for sharing!

Please forgive me for the duckling spam, 'cause I did already post this on my own thread, but I got this video of mine taking their first bath today and I thought you guys'd like to see it ;) After going so long without baby birds in the house I am just enamored.
That is so precious thanks for sharing.
love.gif

I dug up this thread so I could give a link to a few forum goers who seem to be having a similar problem with their ducklings. Then I got to wondering how MSUredneck's and Duckins' ducklings turned out. How are the other blue swedes doing?
big_smile.png

My girls laid their first eggs this week. Maddy the Blue Swedish has been laying tons of eggs. Sophie the Buff Orpington laid her first egg this morning and it was duck-egg blue! Exciting! They're both wonderful ducks and I have a lot of fun with them. They help in the garden, 'help' with outside chores, and follow me down to the barn to get lost running between stalls and under hay pallets. They're both very quiet, too. I was expecting female ducks to be loud but these girls hardly make a sound.

I dug up this thread so I could give a link to a few forum goers who seem to be having a similar problem with their ducklings. Then I got to wondering how MSUredneck's and Duckins' ducklings turned out. How are the other blue swedes doing?
big_smile.png

My girls laid their first eggs this week. Maddy the Blue Swedish has been laying tons of eggs. Sophie the Buff Orpington laid her first egg this morning and it was duck-egg blue! Exciting! They're both wonderful ducks and I have a lot of fun with them. They help in the garden, 'help' with outside chores, and follow me down to the barn to get lost running between stalls and under hay pallets. They're both very quiet, too. I was expecting female ducks to be loud but these girls hardly make a sound.

Pretty eggs and beautiful ducks
love.gif

Our 4 blue swedes used to vomit, but I finally realized that it was mostly water (right after they had a bath or were dipping their heads in their water bowl. I would say pay attention to when the vomiting is happening. If it happens right after they have been playing in water (or when they just drank water and you pick them up), it's probably something they will outgrow. I contacted a vet friend who indicated that this was probably just regurgitation of water/food.

Hi all, I have 2 white crested ducklings both 12 days old today. Today and yesterday I started feeding them crushed peas, baby spinach and some weeds from the garden in their water (chopped up small). They explore the garden (with me at all times) and they have grit in their brooder too.

This morning Omelette came out of the water to preen herself dry and shook her head and vomited a load of food back up.

I’ve read on here that it can be stress related but they haven’t been or done anything unusual. So I’m a bit worried it’s something I’ve brought in from the garden that they shouldn’t be having.

Can anyone advise? Thank you. First time duck mom!

What all came up? and what other feed are you giving them? and do you offer chick grit?

Thanks for your reply. Yes they have chick grit down in their brooder all the time. Thankfully she hasn’t vomited since so hopefully it was just a one-off.

It was quite hard to see what came up to be honest. I shred everything quite small for them with scissors as I’m paranoid they’ll choke! Haha! They’d had a mix of parsley, dandelion leaves seeds and flowers, bindweed, daisy flowers, buttercup leaves and flowers, cooked and mushed up garden peas, pea leaves, and some grass seed. All from the garden except the peas.

It was a bit of a feeding frenzy, so I wonder if she’d perhaps eaten a bit too much? Any advice welcome. Thanks again.

What all came up? and what other feed are you giving them? and do you offer chick grit?

Sorry I forgot to answer what feed they have. They have a chick food but it is unmedicated and says on it that it’s suitable for ducks and all waterfowl. I add brewer’s yeast to it to be on the safe side. And have some oats on standby to add when their protein levels need to drop.

Am I missing anything?

Back
Top Bottom