Duckling walking issue/injury?

Is it possible for you to separate her with one other duckling into a small space, then put the liquid vitamin B complex into a small water dish so you're not working with a whole gallon, which would take forever for them to drink. If she's just with one other duckling she won't be lonely and won't get trampled.

Also, do you see her legs are just weak, or are they splaying out to the sides? If they are splaying you need to hobble her, which just consists of using vet wrap to wrap around the legs and hold them in proper position until they grow strong.

Yes, on the advice you received above. I remember my first day bringing home my pekin ducklings - they were very jumpy! Are yours pets? They were bred to be meat birds, so grow super fast, ready to harvest at 8 weeks. Unfortunately that means that many of them need extra niacin to support their leg strength. My pekins were/are pets, and I had one that developed slay leg about the age yours are. She just started walking less and had lots of trouble standing up. What I did was start the liquid vitamin B complex right away. You can't over dose on this. I tried to give it to that specific duck over treats - a piece of bread, peas, meal worms, but I also added it to small drinking water dishes for them, and on top of their feed. If your duck truly has splay leg you can use vet wrap to create hobbles which will hold her legs in proper position. But it may be that her legs are just weak. You can get your ducks to feel comfortable around you by spending lots of time near them, talking quietly to them, and especially bringing them treats. You can introduce meal worms and peas in small quantities to them at this stage - also small bits of zuchinni, watermelon, tiny pieces of herbs or kale. Also, take them out a couple at a time and see if they will settle in on your lap. Ducks don't like change, loud scary things, quick movements, etc. so just take your time and eventually they will get to feel comfortable around you!
Thanks for the advice, I got them for eggs and pets. I would have gone with a more abundant egg layer, but for our situation, from what I read their temperament and size would fit the best, and their egg production would be just enough. I completely underestimated their size as chicks and my first space for them just barely fit them. But the one that kept getting from a very foolish oversight on my end. For water I use a bucket with holes cut in it. It prevents them from spilling it everywhere. I didn't cover the small bucket I used, not realizing they could fit through them. I'm pretty sure she hoped out that way. So I moved them to my dog's crate which she doesn't use. Again I foolishly didn't think about them being able to squeeze through the crate, but she did. I then lined the crate with cardboard. In a few days they grew much larger and by the week's end it was apparent that I should just max their space out. I have them in a 5 x 5 foot pen. But they may out grow that. The big one is about 3/4 the size of a mallard you would see at a pond. I'm using Storey's guide, but I'm pretty sure the general advice isn't for the large Pekins (haha). I think it is Niacin deficiency, she doesn't move her wings as strongly as the others. BTW, what do you use for their pond? I was gonna use a kiddie pool, but that obviously won't be deep and wide enough. When I was getting the B complex at TSC I saw a pretty large galvanized steel tub. It seemed about 18' deep, I am not too sure about the diameter, maybe 5/6 feet. I was also thinking that maybe getting 2 smaller steel tubs, which would most likely be more in my budget.

Also, do you see her legs are just weak, or are they splaying out to the sides? If they are splaying you need to hobble her, which just consists of using vet wrap to wrap around the legs and hold them in proper position until they grow strong.
It's hard to tell on her legs, but I think they are just weak, I will pay more attention. I can probably get another duck with her. I will most likely separate her first because it will be easiest. Then I'll shoo one in with her. Thanks again, I'm off to try.

It sounds like now you're set with your brooder. The pekins get large quick. As for swimming options lots of people just use the plastic kiddie pools - you would need the larger size one. They just require lots of dumping and scrubbing, but pretty much all swimming options do as they ducks get them dirty so fast. You also need a shallow ramp going up to the pool and a large block just on the other side that they can step on when they're climbing out of the pool. Pekins in particular are clumsy and not agile at all, and you might even have to put guards on the sides of the ramp going into the pool - they fall off easily. The worry is them hurting their legs if they're jumping or falling from any height, since they're so heavy. Also, another tip on pekins is to make sure they're on soft surfaces, nothing hard like concrete, or anything with sharp edges, because one little cut can lead to a bumblefoot infection, which they are a little more prone to due to their weight. Hopefully in a few days you'll notice improvement with your little one - but keep up the extra niacin for at least a month or so after you notice improvement. Also, sometimes the ducklings run around and act more scared when they're in a big group. You could take advantage of having them split into two small groups to spend time with them, holding them, offering treats (peas, meal worms), and just getting them used to your company....that way they won't view you as a terror as they grow older.

Thank you to everyone who has replied. I was able to get nutritional yeast flakes last night and sprinkled it over crumbled soft bread. They were already feed but overnight ate it. I got the B complex this a.m. I could not get it in the weak duckling she was too petrified for me to get the soaked crumbles to her (even after I put it down she wouldn't even look at it. But I did put a large does of the complex in their water. 30 mls. diluted in about a gallon of water, they drink about a quarter of it before I dumped it and give them fresh water. I had to shoo away the stronger ducks from blocking her. She took advantage of the path and made a slow, but fast for her weak legs, beeline to the water where she sat and drank and ate the chopped lettuce I put in it. She's not making it to the food after fleeing with the rest of the flock to the far corner when I put it in the pen. She's stayed in the corner. The pen is big enough for me to separate her with dividers into a 2 x 3 space, with my smaller brooder in it, her own water and her own food, but in order to do so I have to become Godzilla and walk into their pen to set up the wire dividers. Still I can't think of any way to have her close to the medicated food and to stop her from getting run over every time the ducklings get spooked. I hope my next post is about her recovery.
I’m having trouble understanding how you’re having trouble with the division. I was going to suggest keeping the weak one separated in its own space when I see you are already doing that. That way you can be sure it’s getting the supplements it needs for the weak legs/ deficiency problem. But not isolate it to where it feels alone. Be sure it always has water and is able to dunk it’s head to clean it’s nares.

Her legs don't seem to be splaying. I separated her, but the space isn't big enough for two (I ran out of chicken wire, yet the can see each other easily through it). She is just staying in the corner and not touching the food with the b 12, nor the water I gave her. Which has been the issue the whole time. They get frightened run off, then come back to the food after I have placed it and moved away. Except she isn't moving back to the food. I have to go to work. I think I'm going to pick up a medicine dropper when coming home and have to just hold her while some one else puts the dropper in her mouth. I can't think of any other way.

Maybe she will eat while you are away - hopefully! You have to be extremely cautious in giving oral meds to ducklings because they can aspirate if it goes down the lungs. Maybe just putting little drops on her tongue - but read up on it before trying.

I’m having trouble understanding how you’re having trouble with the division. I was going to suggest keeping the weak one separated in its own space when I see you are already doing that. That way you can be sure it’s getting the supplements it needs for the weak legs/ deficiency problem. But not isolate it to where it feels alone. Be sure it always has water and is able to dunk it’s head to clean it’s nares.
The issue is scaring the living crap out of all of them. They don't like when I stand up. I can bring a chair in the room and sit down in it and they will quickly relax and as long as I move slowly and don't stand up or reach into their pen they are cool. I isolated part of the pen with the left over chicken wire I have from making the pen. That wasn't too big of a deal, although they all were petrified. The issue now is that the isolated one, ran into the corner when I put her food and water in her area and is just staying there. I am going to work now and will by a dropper on the way home. If she hasn't eaten her medicated food I'm gonna have to just hold her and put the b complex in her mouth with the dropper. I don't know of any other way to get it in her.

Maybe she will eat while you are away - hopefully! You have to be extremely cautious in giving oral meds to ducklings because they can aspirate if it goes down the lungs. Maybe just putting little drops on her tongue - but read up on it before trying.
Christ, thanks for the warning, I'll check up on that. I really want her to get better, and I've been so scared to harm them that I think I made it worse. Have a good one.

Back
Top Bottom