Duckling was born with turned in and curled feet :(

My Patito

In the Brooder
May 22, 2015
Our school hatched duck and chicken eggs last week and we had one little duck that tried to hatch out for 5 days. We could all see the beak and chest breathing heavily inside and because we were told not to help did nothing. Finally we helped the little one out. After an intense night the duckling is now 3 days old, with lots of energy, eating, sleeping and pooping just fine. The only thing is the feet that are both turned in and curled up. I read a lot about using the shoes method for helping the curled feet and it has been trying to balance and walk around with them on (moving from lunging forward to actual steps). At the same time, whenever the shoes come off, it is also trying to walk around on its turned and curled feet. I'm worried it will develop calluses on it's feet from doing this, but he seems to like being able to do it. It's also working on getting itself upright when it falls over flat on it's stomach. So now I'm not sure of what to do, should I continue with the shoes to uncurl the feet or just let it walk around like that?

This is one tough duckling and I want to do whatever I can to help. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

This is from yesterday. She's not waring them now and it will be too hard to get them on for a picture. Her feet seem to be turned inwards and so when I flatten them out with the shoes they are still sort of upside down. I'm afraid it's the bone that's like that.

Hi, glad you came over to the Duck Forum. Sweet Patito
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom