Duckling with chicks for a few weeks ok?

a backyard bird nerd

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2022
We have five 5-7 week-old ducklings: Two Cuyuga, Two Blue Swedish and One Rouen. Several weeks after having them together, we got one itty bitty Rouen with 4 chicks. We were noticing what we thought was pairing up for the ducklings that were alike and mistakenly thought we should add one more. We're very new to having ducks. We have put the Rouen duckling with each of the larger ducklings in and enclosure near the flock to see how they would do. The larger Rouen was wonderful with the smaller one. However, she wanted to be with her flock and I worried if I turned my back for a second this little one could get injured. The little one spends most of their time in the brooder with the 4 chicks. My plan is to keep introducing them daily or every other day. While the little duckling is eating and drinking well (took a bit of extra effort to teach them) they spend a lot of time alone. They'll lay with the chicks at times, but clearly aren't bonding with the chicks at all. Will they be OK to have minimal time with the duck flock while we wait for them to grow more? Thank you for any advice!

We have five 5-7 week-old ducklings: Two Cuyuga, Two Blue Swedish and One Rouen. Several weeks after having them together, we got one itty bitty Rouen with 4 chicks. We were noticing what we thought was pairing up for the ducklings that were alike and mistakenly thought we should add one more. We're very new to having ducks. We have put the Rouen duckling with each of the larger ducklings in and enclosure near the flock to see how they would do. The larger Rouen was wonderful with the smaller one. However, she wanted to be with her flock and I worried if I turned my back for a second this little one could get injured. The little one spends most of their time in the brooder with the 4 chicks. My plan is to keep introducing them daily or every other day. While the little duckling is eating and drinking well (took a bit of extra effort to teach them) they spend a lot of time alone. They'll lay with the chicks at times, but clearly aren't bonding with the chicks at all. Will they be OK to have minimal time with the duck flock while we wait for them to grow more? Thank you for any advice!
That Rouen won't be small for long - haha! Those are big duckies! It will be fine with the chickens for a little while. I am brooding my one Call duck with my 2 Polish and have been for a while for the same reasons.

That Rouen won't be small for long - haha! Those are big duckies! It will be fine with the chickens for a little while. I am brooding my one Call duck with my 2 Polish and have been for a while for the same reasons.
Thank you. You are so right, the Rouen is so much bigger than the chicks already! I'm quite astonished at how quickly ducks grow! Thanks again!

Thank you. You are so right, the Rouen is so much bigger than the chicks already! I'm quite astonished at how quickly ducks grow! Thanks again!
I bet it is! Just be sure the duck isn't picking on your chickens. I put a partition between my duck and my chickens because the duck likes to nibble feathers. I just used some welded wire fencing at first and now use the side of a small animal cage. They can see each other, but my Polishes' feathers are safe!

I bet it is! Just be sure the duck isn't picking on your chickens. I put a partition between my duck and my chickens because the duck likes to nibble feathers. I just used some welded wire fencing at first and now use the side of a small animal cage. They can see each other, but my Polishes' feathers are safe!
Oh wow, I'll keep an eye out for that and get some wire mesh ready, or something like that. I noticed them doing the little duck nibble now and again. Thanks for that tip!

Back
Top Bottom