Duckling with leg problems...

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
As some of you guys know, my duckling fell and somehow hurt her leg almost two weeks ago. She was doing better, walking around almost normal. Well, in the past couple days she has got worse and now can barely stand without falling over. She wants to be held constantly, I think because she knows she won't fall over. I found her at 3:00 this morning fallen into her water dish, so I camped out in the laundry room where they are and she happily slept underneath my chin for the rest of the night. I however didn't sleep so well. Tile isn't so comfortable. :) She did have a buddy with her for the past week or so, but I put him back with the others because he wasn't helping matters. I have Ducky in a corner of the brooder propped up by the wall and a stuffed animal with food and water within reach. What should I do for her? Would a splint of some sort help?

Last edited:
Would it help to put her in a smaller enclosure (like a rubbermaid tote) so she has less room to wander/fall down?

I think I would try a soft splint, maybe vet wrap - not too tight, as you know. Isolation is rough on ducklings. Are you giving her vitamins?

I would also put comfrey salve on the leg.

Last edited:
I am not giving her vitamins. What would you recommend? I gave her electrolytes for the first bit when she was injured. She seems to be doing ok without another duckling, she wasn't too snugly with him when he was there. But still, I have a stuffed animal in there an spend a ton of time with her. I know it's not the same, but it's something. Her injury is so odd. She can move her legs/use her legs just fine, like she walks a lot with support. (Having a hand next to her side.) But she has no balance. I think her feet might point inward...I'm not sure. Also bother her legs look normal - no swelling or weird angles or anything.

I would give her brewer's yeast (not baking - brewer's, or nutritional yeast - it's a supplement). A teaspoon in her food three times a day. It has B vitamins and those are particularly good for leg problems (nervous system-related). Once a week I would give poultry vitamins in the water as well.

I have been giving her brewers or nutritional yeast since she was 1 day old. 1 tablespoon to 1 cup of food.

She has been doing better and is a little more stable on her feet. She looked lonely today so I brought up a friend for a littl while and she enjoyed that.

She is doing even better! She can walk almost normal! I put her on the floor on a towel as I clean out her brooder, and she has started to walk right off the towel and explore the room, and even though it is tile, she just walks around like she owns the place. Which, she kinda does.
lol.png
She falls usually only over if she is excited or scared. Fainting duck, anyone?
tongue.png
When she does fall over, she is better at getting up herself now too.

Well, she was doing just fine, waddling around like normal. I was even thinking of putting her with the rest. However, she fell over sometime this morning and she must of been there awhile because her leg is all stiff again. Back to square one.
sad.png

Well, she was doing just fine, waddling around like normal. I was even thinking of putting her with the rest. However, she fell over sometime this morning and she must of been there awhile because her leg is all stiff again. Back to square one.
sad.png
Hopefully just a minor relapse keep up the TLC. and don't put her outside until she has been walking normal for at least 3-5 days after she is on track again. This way hopefully she won't relapse again.

Back
Top Bottom