duckling with runny nose?

Jul 24, 2019
Boerne TX
IMG_0805.PNG

Hey all! Last night my little ducklings hatched. A little backstory... I had 6 incubating duck eggs, 5 from the same nest that the mom abandoned after getting all ready to sit (she's done this more than once) and one was on the floor of the coop that day,"barnyard mystery" so I added it to the batch too. They stored for two days before I putting them in my bator. All of the eggs were good, except one who quit about half way thru the baking process. Fast forwarding, about a day before they were due to hatch, (they were on lockdown at this point) the door into the room that the bator was in got opened somehow while I was away, which never happens. Unfortunately, when I got home, there was a murder scene on my bedroom floor. My beloved dog had knocked over my bator, killing 3 of the 5 ducklings in their shells. It was very unfortunate and traumatizing, and I though I had lost all of them. Thankfully, my barnyard mystery one was perfect, and even pipped a few hours later. The other one was iffy. A quick canceling before being sprayed and put back in the bator revealed it to be alive and internally pipped, but some blood vessels along the shell membrane had burst, and from the outside there was a dime sized purple bruise on the egg. I was very worried Id have a singleton, but it was ok and externally pipped while I was asleep sometime that night. The next evening, last night, they both hatched within 2 hours of each other, with my barnyard mystery first (only took him 30 minutes to zip!). The mystery is a Khaki/Rouen. The other one has a 50/50 swedish cayuga mom and a cayuga dad. Because of the trauma of being knocked over, both of the eggs were dirtier on the inside than they should have been, but I'm not surprised. The rouen is doing amazing, running around, peeping, eating, drinking, normal duckling behavior. The cayuga seems more lethargic and has a runny nose. I tried to get a good pic. It is drinking and ate a bit, however I'm not worried about eating yet because of the yolk in its belly. It isn't totally lazy, it moving around and chirping, but not as active as the other one. I put it in my sink with about 1 1/2 gallons of 85 degree water and about 2 tbsp ACV. It's poop looks ok, a little green tho. Will he be ok? Is there something I can do for him? Because of the shell damage he sustained and everything he went thru, I won't be surprised if he doesn't make it. That would mean that Id have to find a buddy for my rouen tho. I am worried about salmonella tho, we have a 3 year old and a grandma in our house. Is that a concern? Thanks for the help!
IMG_0799.jpg

If it’s drinking the runny nose could just be excess water coming out of its nares. As for salmonella don’t let the 3 yr old handle the duckling right now not so much because of sickness although that should be addressed to with hand washing anytime ducklings are handled but because the ducklings are also very fragile right now and young children can accidentally squeeze to tight or drop on accident. As for grandma if she is going to be handling them then just like the rest of us hand washing afterwards.

Just keep the duckling warm with good feed and water and hopefully the little one your concerned about will make it. Probably just pooped out from the ordeal of hatching. If you have some Poultry Nutridrench add to their water. It’s a great boost for newly hatched ducklings.

Oh totally with the handling thing. She’s not allowed to hold them. No I don’t have the stuff for their water. Is there something else I can use? Also I forgot to mention that I have flock raiser and medicated chick start and grow. Bc I was worried about them, I gave them the medicated feed. Should I do flock raiser instead or was that the right choice for their first week?

Back
Top Bottom