Duckling with Swollen cheek :( Advice please

Button on Right, Poppy on left. All good and only a few sneezes here and there :) Two and a half weeks old!

Last edited:
Just took poor Button to the vet, she has a bacterial infection and is now on 2x different antibiotics. She was scratching her head a lot and had closed her eye. I thought maybe she had scratched it. Next day had yucky nose and both eyes shut. She really is my learning duck, teaching me everything! So I learned the scratching was due to irritation in her sinuses which loop around their eyes and down the back of their necks. I will be more in the ball next time, lucky the other duckling Poppy seems to have shaken her cold. We are convinced now they both had a bug when we got them. Button is opening both eyes now and seems to be on the mend. These ducks respond fast!

You did well by her - so glad you had a vet confirm an infection, and get medicine for it. May I ask which antibiotics you are using? I want to learn as much as I can about them.

Please let us know how she does.

Bad news... :( I went down to check on her and her legs had gone. Second floppy duck in a month! She is now at the vet but we don't know how she will go :( all in the space of 4hrs! I will check the antibiotics for you. They did prescribe them for the specific bacteria she had after testing her droppings. Fingers crossed!!!

Bad news...
sad.png
I went down to check on her and her legs had gone. Second floppy duck in a month! She is now at the vet but we don't know how she will go
sad.png
all in the space of 4hrs! I will check the antibiotics for you. They did prescribe them for the specific bacteria she had after testing her droppings. Fingers crossed!!!
Have you been giving her niacin supplements? If not, I would start right away.

150 mg niacin per gallon of water. Not timed-release or no-flush, just plain niacin capsules opened and emptied into water.

Bad news...
sad.png
I went down to check on her and her legs had gone. Second floppy duck in a month! She is now at the vet but we don't know how she will go
sad.png
all in the space of 4hrs! I will check the antibiotics for you. They did prescribe them for the specific bacteria she had after testing her droppings. Fingers crossed!!!
I agree about the niacin, and sure hope she pulls through bless her heart.
hugs.gif
and prayers.
fl.gif

Thank you! She stayed at the vet overnight. By the afternoon she was back on her feet but very fatigued. :) Took Poppy in for the night too, the noise they were making seperated! Poppy is well but they are treating her the same just in case, they mentioned calcium. I have been feeding them brewers yeast in their food since week 1. This majorly improved Poppy's legs, she was weak and a bit bow legged when we got her. It is possible Button had a reaction to the high dose antibiotics, there may have been toxins in her belly that with disturbed gut flora made problems. And on top of that she already was fighting her bacterial infection. Just waiting now for a morning update fingers crossed. Thank you again! It's really nice to have support. Will let you all know the verdict and I will get the names of the antibiotics.

Thank you! She stayed at the vet overnight. By the afternoon she was back on her feet but very fatigued.
smile.png
Took Poppy in for the night too, the noise they were making seperated! Poppy is well but they are treating her the same just in case, they mentioned calcium. I have been feeding them brewers yeast in their food since week 1. This majorly improved Poppy's legs, she was weak and a bit bow legged when we got her. It is possible Button had a reaction to the high dose antibiotics, there may have been toxins in her belly that with disturbed gut flora made problems. And on top of that she already was fighting her bacterial infection. Just waiting now for a morning update fingers crossed. Thank you again! It's really nice to have support. Will let you all know the verdict and I will get the names of the antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom