Duckling with swollen foot - any suggestions?

Philbop2000

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 1, 2013
I have had a new hatch of apricot call ducklings two days ago.

This morning I gave them all a quick bath in warm water as they were getting a bit fowled in the brooder - Now one of the ducklings has a very swollen foot and they are not eating/drinking and attempting to avoid walking.

Has anyone come across this before? If so any ideas what causes it, what I should do and how serious it is?

Any help much appreciated

Cheers,

Phil

Could you upload a photo? It could be a few things but it would be easier to diagnose with a picture!
Oh and
welcome-byc.gif
!

Last edited:
Here is a photo, he has been eating and drinking this afternoon but stills seems uncomfortable. Sorry for the poor photo quality but you should be able to make out the bubble like swelling of the webbing.

Cheers

Ooo Gosh! I have no clue as to what that could be. I hope that someone else has seen this before, is it fluid filled?

Yes - definitely fluid filled. He is still eating/drinking and in good spirits, I've been applying savlon cream to keep any infection at bay and am hoping that the fluid will be reabsorbed.

I will try to get Miss Lydia on this thread for you... from what little I know of her, she is very knowledgeable when it comes to ducks

Looks like maybe heat from soiled bedding may have done this, make sure to keep bedding as dry as possible, you may even want to keep this lil one on towels [which will have to be changed often] keep it in a separate brooder but inside the same one so all can still see each other and let this resolve on it's own with just using the salvon salve. And give swim time often which will help keep the feet as clean as possible. Ammonia build up will cause burns and this looks so much like what I had as a kid when I got a perm[yes they did that to us girls back then]
roll.png
and they left a towel with the solution on my neck, the perms had ammonia in them.

Last edited:
Many thanks Lydia,

Will do as advised - one of the blisters has popped but I will keep applying salve to try and avoid infection. Have you any impression on how long this process may take?

Thanks again,

Phil

P.S. I'll keep you informed as to how we get on

Hi Phil,

I was wondering what you ended up doing with the duckling and his swollen foot? I have a little duckling with exactly the same thing as you showed in the photo.

Thanks

Katie,

I don't think this had anything to do with ammonia but just seemed to happen. In the end we just rubbed on savlon cream and tried to keep it protected. The blisters ended up bursting and the webbing split somewhat but other than that there was no other problems. He is still missing some webbing and to this day is known as bumblefoot. Other than that he is fine and about to be a father for the first time!

Back
Top Bottom