Duckling with twisting neck--very concerned, please help!

I don't think I have an answer for you, but you should be concerned every time you have some sort of discharge. It is best to see a vet for further diagnosis. In the meanwhile I would give poultry vitamins and minerals. Especially the vitamin b group, because it effects the coordination and muscle movement capabilities. Ducks in particular need a lot of vitamin B3 also known as Niacin. You can also get Polyvisol Vitamins for infants without iron and give one drop 3 times per day directly into the bill. Niacin can be found in the adult vitamin isle and is mixed 100mg per 1 gallon. Be very careful with the chlamydia psitacci it is very contagious, even to humans.

Quote:
I havent ever had a pheasant, so dont know what particular problems they can have that could be different from a duck. I just get powdered vitamins from the feed store and add it to drinking water when required by my flock. A smaller pet shop would have liquid drops for budgies and small birds that are handy in an emergency as well.

Survivalarms- being that this is such an old thread and that your health issue is about a pheasant you may have a better response from people in the pheasant area of the forum

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=50 Im sure there would be people who can give you a better indication of what might be wrong with your baby there and give you a better idea of how to treat it.

I give 2 cc of penicillin IM in breast and 1 cc of tylan 200 by mouth. Covers broad sprectrum of bacteria for ducks. And will cure the one that makes the ducks limp too. Anyways thought would let you know.

It had botulism. Botulism breeds in warm areas . It begins to grow in the ground and may be caused from being in the heat (in a trapped area.) It is spread by flies, but it's botulism c ,meaning it won't hurt humans and is common among ducks.It can also receive the disease through cuts and, it's airborne. So move it away from the infected area. The best you can do is feed it a whole lot of water and hope to flush it out. The first symptoms are slow moving legs when you pick it up. The paralysis often seams to start in the joints. It is often too late when the neck bends backwards. I know from experience. They will most likely have diarrhea and won't blink much.The bacterium Clostridium botulinum produces toxins that are dangerous to ducks. Colonies of this bacterium grow in stagnant ponds and in other areas where organic matter is decaying, such as near animal carcasses. The toxins produced can cause ducks to lose control of the muscles in their legs, neck, and wings. You will see the duck’s neck go limp, which is why this is also called limberneck. The affected duck will also be unable to swallow. Avoid poisoning by keeping ducks away from stagnant water, especially in hot weather when the bacteria grow the most. The duck may die rapidly, but you can attempt an old treatment. Give the duck water with one tablespoon of Epsom salts to one cup of water. Administer it with a syringe (not with a needle) because it cannot swallow easily.

Back
Top Bottom