Duckling won't stand, walks poorly

clap.gif

Great news all around!

UPDATE: Cinnamon is now walking around standing straight and mostly keeping up with the other ducks. After much struggling her balance has improved to the point where she can drink easily. She still struggles with preening. Yesterday she was able to preen her chest for a short time and make a pass at her wing without falling over. She still can't turn and reach her tail (it's not a question of flexibility, it's her balance.) One wing still droops very slightly and one leg is still slightly weaker than the other.

She no longer has the issue of the neck staying extended for periods of time (which would have led to drowning without close supervision) so I can let her swim alone for short periods of time. She still does have a tick of sorts at times while swimming (with her neck), but she controls it. She has mostly caught up on her weight, she weighs about the same as my other female.

I still feed her with a tube. She readily eats fresh food in small amounts, and now hunts through the grass for bugs with the others, but does not eat enough dry food to maintain her weight.

I am very pleased and excited that she has recovered so well - and continues to do her best to keep improving.

I too have a disabled duckling (3 days old). My daughter thinks it's deaf. I think it has vertigo. It can't walk on its own, it just tips right on over. It appears normal and healthy in every other way except it keeps it head to one side. It eats, drinks, poops normal. Any ideas on what to do. We've tried water but it tips over too. I was thinking of some sort of cart to keep it upright. It is 1 of 15 crested crossbreed that momma hatched out on her own. This is the only one w/ issues. In this pic it's laying on its side.

Last edited:

This is Cinnamon, the duck that started this thread. Cinnamon has now fully recovered and as of last week is eating all meals on her own. She keeps up with everyone, and gets her share of crickets from the lawn. She enjoys the same life and all the same freedoms as the other ducks. It took a lot of nursing, but I am so thankful for her complete recovery.

This is Cinnamon, the duck that started this thread. Cinnamon has now fully recovered and as of last week is eating all meals on her own. She keeps up with everyone, and gets her share of crickets from the lawn. She enjoys the same life and all the same freedoms as the other ducks. It took a lot of nursing, but I am so thankful for her complete recovery.
Cinnamon is beautiful and looks very healthy, What a great update. You have done a wonderful work getting her through to health.All that TLC paid off.
thumbsup.gif

I also have a two week old crested Indian runner that I hatched that is having problems with walking without tumbling over. I noticed the crop is pretty big. She eats and drinks good but she just wants to lay around. Could someone help please!

Back
Top Bottom