Ducklings and Adult Ducks

Ahygre21

Chirping
Mar 30, 2022
I hatched Pekin ducklings 2 weeks ago from eggs not directly from my Pekins in my flock. The other day, I put my ducklings outside (it’s very warm where I am so temp was the same inside as it was outside). I have a little playhouse inside the coop, and I put them in there where nothing was going to interact with them and disrupt them. A couple hours later when I went back out, my 3 adult female Pekins were guarding the door which led to my ducklings. Is that normal? Or should I be concerned when it comes to introducing time?

I’m just not sure if that’s like a “mom” instinct, or she’s trying to hurt/injure them. **eggs that hatched are not hers

If her head and/or neck are vibrating, that is a sign of aggression towards them. If she is laying down near them, that is more a sign of acceptance. I have never seen it with my Mallard derived breeds, but my Muscovy have been protective of new ducklings I was slowly introducing into the flock. So it is possible, I just have only seen it with Muscovy.

I will say the good thing is you are starting when they are young. I usually have my ducklings penned off from the flock for weeks. So when they are introduced, the adults don't take much notice at that point

I'm sure they were curious. What your doing bringing your ducklings out where the adults can see them and be with them but not touch is one of the best way to integrate them into your flock. So def keep it up. When I have young ducklings I take them out daily and watch them being around the other birds. Most of the time the Ducks chickens and geese ignore them. But I would never leave them unattended. So keep up the good work then once your ducklings get around 4 weeks old they should be ready to be with your girls all the time.

If her head and/or neck are vibrating, that is a sign of aggression towards them. If she is laying down near them, that is more a sign of acceptance. I have never seen it with my Mallard derived breeds, but my Muscovy have been protective of new ducklings I was slowly introducing into the flock. So it is possible, I just have only seen it with Muscovy.

I will say the good thing is you are starting when they are young. I usually have my ducklings penned off from the flock for weeks. So when they are introduced, the adults don't take much notice at that point
She was more just sitting outside the door, probably curious. I just am worried to introduce face to face since the littles aren’t feathered yet.

I'm sure they were curious. What your doing bringing your ducklings out where the adults can see them and be with them but not touch is one of the best way to integrate them into your flock. So def keep it up. When I have young ducklings I take them out daily and watch them being around the other birds. Most of the time the Ducks chickens and geese ignore them. But I would never leave them unattended. So keep up the good work then once your ducklings get around 4 weeks old they should be ready to be with your girls all the time.
They aren’t fully feathered yet, but when should I face to face introduce for short periods of time? I’m just worried if some form of aggression happens.

You will be there to stop any. That is what most of us do we let them be together and we're there to step in if there is any aggression. Start out like your doing then try short times with them together with your supervision.

She was more just sitting outside the door, probably curious. I just am worried to introduce face to face since the littles aren’t feathered yet.
It can really depend on your ducks. But if they have seen your ducklings through fencing for weeks, they are pretty use to them. I usually introduce without fencing around 5 weeks. Only once did my adults chase off the ducklings. Normally the little ones chase adults, well... everyone but my Muscovy.

Back
Top Bottom