Ducklings and Drakes question

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So I've been wondering at what age can you have larger ducklings be near a drake? I only have the one drake for that fenced area. The drake doesn't seem aggressive. The ducklings are almost 4 weeks old. I'd avoided putting them out because it was 100 degrees almost every day. Plus, I wasn't sure if they could be near the drake. But I hate having them out where they stink up a basement pen. Its a good pen but still duck waste smells wow bad you know. I also want to get them acclimated to the heat.

I have a older (6 month old) Pekin Drake, and 4 hen ducklings that are about 3 weeks old. I keep them separate, but they can see each other. I have read that Drakes can be more aggressive in the spring and summertime, so I am waiting until they start to feather out to have them together.
Better to wait, I would say!

So I've been wondering at what age can you have larger ducklings be near a drake? I only have the one drake for that fenced area. The drake doesn't seem aggressive. The ducklings are almost 4 weeks old. I'd avoided putting them out because it was 100 degrees almost every day. Plus, I wasn't sure if they could be near the drake. But I hate having them out where they stink up a basement pen. Its a good pen but still duck waste smells wow bad you know. I also want to get them acclimated to the heat.
Ducklings need to be sexually mature before introduced to adult drakes. For smaller breeds this is 4+ months and larger breeds 5+ months. The drakes penis could permanently damage a young hens developing reproductive system or worse yet they die from the injuries.

Back
Top Bottom