Ducklings and heat trouble?

Chicks in VA

Bantams are the best👍😁
Mar 27, 2021
take a guess
I have a heat plate in with my 3 ducking (4 days old )they like to huddle in the back furthest away from it ,temp is like 60-70F in the whole brooder according to my heat gage. that seems cold to me but if they were cold wouldn't they huddle near the warmer heat plate not in the back farthest away from it? I dont want to roast them and I dont want to freeze them ,I'm so confused :oops:
Also new to ducklings/ ducks- thanks

Edit : I'm naming one cheese and one quackers now I need name suggestions for the third one?

The heat plate is standing up now and is on heater mode
PXL_20240330_205300332.jpg

Have you seen them try and go under the plate before? Can they fit underneath? It is possible that they're perfectly fine with the current temperature in the brooder. I've found that ducklings are much more cold hardy than chicks and don't require artificial heat for long. But I would double check that they can get under the plate and that they know where the heat is if they need it.

You will also need to change your water feeder soon. Ducklings need enough water to submerge their entire heads under.

Have you seen them try and go under the plate before? Can they fit underneath?
No , so it's on its side on the heater mode, all they need to do is walk over to it and it's warm!
It is possible that they're perfectly fine with the current temperature in the brooder.
Yes it is possible, I am just making sure that they are fine I guess.
I've found that ducklings are much more cold hardy than chicks and don't require artificial heat for long.
Informative!
But I would double check that they can get under the plate and that they know where the heat is if they need it.

You will also need to change your water feeder soon. Ducklings need enough water to submerge their entire heads under.
I am working on it , I have a plan , I'm going to cut like 1" by 1" holes in a milk jug I think, that's just an idea though if you have a better one let me know .

Thanks

The ducklings i had prefered to stay out from under the heater more than staying under it.
They would just lay on the side of it or lay by the water.

Back
Top Bottom