Ducklings are too hot

DuckinghamPalace

In the Brooder
May 26, 2021
I need some help. We are having really hot weather here in the UK .
my 3 week old ducklings are panting like crazy when they are indoors. We have introduced them to their garden run during the day and free roaming the garden when we are in it wirh them , in which they are very happy.
as soon as they came in lastnight they were panting like crazy, so I have thrm a bath and they laid under my fan on my bed. As soon as in their pen they were panting again. They have no heat it is switched off. We made them cool mats by putting frozen towels in zip lock bags which they laid on for a while Amd it helped it seemed. Within an hour panting like crazy again. I popped them back out into run at 7am Amd again they are quite happy.
Is it too soon for me to get their hoise ready and them be outside over night?
and if I can leave them out overnight so I leave them with access to the run?
they are safe from all predators outside

Attachments

• D963281F-F35C-4A15-AAE3-B8F840033504.jpeg
    D963281F-F35C-4A15-AAE3-B8F840033504.jpeg
    753.6 KB · Views: 30
I would not move them outside at night yet. They would be 100% helpless,
predator bait.

Could you put a fan above the booder?that would circulate air a bit.

Pekins white layers or Aylsbury? large breed ducklings do pant alot especially Pekins we see it all the time on here.
What are your overnight temps?
I'd be concerned about having a fan blowing over them while wet. and putting frozen towels in their brooder even in plastic bags, just worried they may chill. Having a fan blowing over the brooder not facing them would probably be okay. And are you sure your run and coop is 100% pred proof top, bottom,sides? Foxes are notorious for finding a way in.
I was able to move my Runners in June out to their coop overnight because our night time temps were close to 70F. They had acclimated to the day and night temps very well. Sounds like your doing a good job getting yours acclimated too.

Pekins white layers or Aylsbury? large breed ducklings do pant alot especially Pekins we see it all the time on here.
I'd be concerned about having a fan blowing over them while wet. and putting frozen towels in their brooder even in plastic bags, just worried they may chill. Having a fan blowing over the brooder not facing them would probably be okay. And are you sure your run and coop is 100% pred proof top, bottom,sides? Foxes are notorious for finding a way in.
I was able to move my Runners in June out to their coop overnight because our night time temps were close to 70F. They had acclimated to the day and night temps very well. Sounds like your doing a good job getting yours acclimated too.
They are Aylesbury. This is a first rime for us, so worrying about them like crazy. They’ve made a huge impact to our lives and I adore them, so want to do what’s best for them.
pur night rime temps are between 60-65, we are predicted even hotter tomorrow.
I won’t do the towels again I didn’t think about them getting a chill.they super fast outgrew the brooder box we made for them, so they are now in a homemade pen on my bedroom floor. I have puppy pads on the floor of it, topped with pine shavings. I did think about taking out the shavings but the puppy pads are quite slippy on their own??

Thankyou so much for your reply

I know they quite literally grow right into our hearts as soon as we see them. :love

Your new setup sounds good. As long as they have the space in their "new" set up in your bedroom they should be fine overnight being it's larger. I'd wait another week before putting them outside overnight. You'll not get much sleep worrying about them. I let mine have as much outside time as possible from very early on so they feather in quicker and get use to outside temps. Just like mama duck does. ;)

They are Aylesbury. This is a first rime for us, so worrying about them like crazy. They’ve made a huge impact to our lives and I adore them, so want to do what’s best for them.
pur night rime temps are between 60-65, we are predicted even hotter tomorrow.
I won’t do the towels again I didn’t think about them getting a chill.they super fast outgrew the brooder box we made for them, so they are now in a homemade pen on my bedroom floor. I have puppy pads on the floor of it, topped with pine shavings. I did think about taking out the shavings but the puppy pads are quite slippy on their own??

Thankyou so much for your reply
Do you have an extra working bathtub?
We don’t , but I did think about putting them in it overnight as it’s a familiar space to them due to daily swim time

I know they quite literally grow right into our hearts as soon as we see them. :love

Your new setup sounds good. As long as they have the space in their "new" set up in your bedroom they should be fine overnight being it's larger. I'd wait another week before putting them outside overnight. You'll not get much sleep worrying about them. I let mine have as much outside time as possible from very early on so they feather in quicker and get use to outside temps. Just like mama duck does. ;)
Yeah they have plenty of space, yet when they come in at night they just pant like crazy in it.
I’m so pleased to hear that then having lots of outside time is the right thing to do, they love the garden, mingling with the dog and children.

ill miss them when they live out as we have lots of snuggles on the bed watching tv, I never knew ducks could be so loving.
image.jpg

I need some help. We are having really hot weather here in the UK .
my 3 week old ducklings are panting like crazy when they are indoors. We have introduced them to their garden run during the day and free roaming the garden when we are in it wirh them , in which they are very happy.
as soon as they came in lastnight they were panting like crazy, so I have thrm a bath and they laid under my fan on my bed. As soon as in their pen they were panting again. They have no heat it is switched off. We made them cool mats by putting frozen towels in zip lock bags which they laid on for a while Amd it helped it seemed. Within an hour panting like crazy again. I popped them back out into run at 7am Amd again they are quite happy.
Is it too soon for me to get their hoise ready and them be outside over night?
and if I can leave them out overnight so I leave them with access to the run?
they are safe from all predators outside
I moved my 2 week old (now 4wo) jumbo pekins outside when they started panting. They’ve gone from sleeping in the coop to sleeping outside at night (in a predator proof run) and they are perfectly happy. It’s high 60s low 70s at night here. During the day it’s much worse and they pant like crazy (high 80s, high humidity) but they’ve figured out how to cool themselves by hopping into one of 3 kiddie pools I put out in their yard with one in the run. I have to dump them once during the day and fill up with cool water but they appreciate it and they love the wet ground after too. I also added a fan in the run that runs all day. They’re doing much better now and I don’t worry about them as much, I just watch them 👀… it’s become my favorite past time.

When I first put them out I made sure they could only have supervised access to the pools but then it started getting so hot that I would just go check on them every 30-60 mins (if I wasn’t already out there doing other various projects) and I found them either sleeping in their pools or responsibly drying themselves off. I read that the sooner and more access they have to swimming the faster their feathers and oil gland developed, I don’t know about feathers (they’re about 50%+) but they are definitely waterproof and have been for a week.

Back
Top Bottom