ducklings bedding

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 2ducksmomma, Mar 5, 2015.

1. 2ducksmomma

2ducksmomma New Egg

Mar 5, 2015
    alabama
    I have a 30 gallon tub with wood chips heat light ect. My ducklings (2) are about a month old. Just out of curiosity how does everyone else house their babies? I just did it the way the store did!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock. I really don't know how ducklings are raised but, if you go to "Other Backyard Poultry," forum above, you will find threads regarding ducks - the folks there should be able to answer your questions.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please do be sure the heat lamp has a bulb guard to keep the ducklings from accidentally touching it. Also the heat lamp should be securely fastened in at least two different ways to prevent it from falling - fires are very common with heat sources and wood bedding. Good luck with your babies.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! X2 on drumstick divas advice of making sure your lamp is secure and has a guard. Here is a lovely article all about brooding ducks https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/duckling-care-brooder-ideas
    Drop by the duck section of the forum for all the duck chat and experts over there https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Wishing you the very best of luck with your ducklings. Be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly. Enjoy BYC :frow

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  6. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welocme to BYC!!! It is an aweosme forum (the BEST in the world) and has a great comminity!!! Hopr you have a great time and learn A LOT!

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

I've never raised ducks before, so I can't offer any duckling housing advice. If you post in the Ducks section of the forums, though, I'm sure members there can help.:Ducks

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

I haven't kept ducks before, so can't be of much help. I suggest posting in the Ducks section that Sumi linked to.[​IMG] Good luck with your ducklings!

9. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack Premium Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

You have about 6wks to go that you will be brooding you ducklings. Spend this time reading up on keeping ducks. Look through the articles on this forum on predators and pests and search for articles on duck houses. Keeping your babies secure requires more diligence than most new owners realize. I invite you to read my "baby book" linked in my signature. I learned as I went and lost two ducklings and those loses were preventable, but not reversible. I wrote this book for my mother who can't use a computer, so it is a chronicle of my babies and a picture book. See you on the duck forum pages.
    [​IMG]

10. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

Welcome to BYC!! I'm so glad you joined the flock!! [​IMG]

If you have any questions feel free to PM me!!

-Turkenstein25

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by