Ducklings different colors?

njschule

Chirping
Jun 11, 2019
Good morning everyone,
I had a khaki campbell duck just hatch 8 lovely ducklings. 6 black and tans and 2 yellow beautiful babies. I am wondering why the different colors? I have one khaki campbell drake. I have 1 other cayuga hen , 1 grey runner hen and the rest are all khaki campbell female hens. Could the yellow ones be gender? Males? Or might they be eggs from one of the other hens? Thanks!

1CF9DBD7-A8C4-4A8F-9BA5-2E98A315EEF4.jpeg
482C8378-5A8E-49AA-B031-05890BAD5F12.jpeg
150CB7CB-9251-4B87-843A-B56484CFDDFD.jpeg

Miss Lydia, there are some pictures. I should have said that my goose has declared himself to be their protector. So cute. But you can see the two yellow babies in the mix of 6 black and yellow babies. The nest was pretty far away from any of the other birds so I am not sure how she would steal from anyone else. I never saw her leave the nest for very long so I am not sure how any other duck could have gotten to her nest but it is possible. It will be interesting to see how they grow up.

I read the @Pyxis report. That is quite an excellent synopsis and also quite technical. I don’t really understand what I have still. But I did learn that my drake is a Mallard and not a Khaki Campbell. And I think in the female khaki the buff dilution and the chocolate dilution are both recessive. So if I have a Chocolate duckling, that would mean it is dominant, from both, which makes sense, and the yellow means it is recessive so therefore, it seems like I have sex linked ducklings rather than two different breeds? I would guess that means that my speckled ones are girls and my two yellow are boys? But I could have that completely wrong.....

Back
Top Bottom