Ducklings + Goslings

New update: little duckling is in the brooder now. It looks like it's gonna be in there alone until the goose hatches the clutch she's on. We candled the remaining eggs in the incubator when we removed the hatchling and didn't see any movement or shapes in the air sacks. I left them in there in hopes something magical will happen today. When I remove the hatchlings from under the goose, should I wait until they have all hatched or should I take them out as they hatch? I'd just like to get the little guy in the brooder a friend as soon as possible. The stuffed animal won't cut it for long.

New update: little duckling is in the brooder now. It looks like it's gonna be in there alone until the goose hatches the clutch she's on. We candled the remaining eggs in the incubator when we removed the hatchling and didn't see any movement or shapes in the air sacks. I left them in there in hopes something magical will happen today. When I remove the hatchlings from under the goose, should I wait until they have all hatched or should I take them out as they hatch? I'd just like to get the little guy in the brooder a friend as soon as possible. The stuffed animal won't cut it for long.
How many eggs is your goose sitting on? all he needs is 1 friend from under mama goose or are you planning on taking all the goslings away when they all hatch, which would be so sad and you'd miss the enjoyment of watching mom and dad raise the goslings. A non breakable mirror is also a good thing to use with a single.short term

How many eggs is your goose sitting on? all he needs is 1 friend from under mama goose or are you planning on taking all the goslings away when they all hatch, which would be so sad and you'd miss the enjoyment of watching mom and dad raise the goslings. A non breakable mirror is also a good thing to use with a single.short term

3 goose eggs and 2 duck eggs. I was just under the impression that the babies would fare better in a brooder inside. We're mostly concerned for their well-being. Our two geese are with our 12 ducks and I'd hate to have something happen to them and I foresee a hassel keeping them all seperated for feeding and watering purposes.

New Update: two days ago we purchased a little duckling for Orschelns. I'm not sure on the breed though as it was only labeled as a meat breed.

This morning we had our first gosling hatch. I brought it home and it's happy in the brooder now. I had also found a smashed little fully developed runner still in the egg. She moved her nest so I checked where it was before and found the poor thing. It appeared as though it was hatching when it happened. It was a little brown runner and we only have the one brown female so it's obvious who the mama was there.

The two ducklings weren't too sure about they're new roommate at first

I am hatching goose eggs, had a temperature spike, and only one gosling hatched. I couldn't let her live alone, she is too young to give to her parents. I know, they could manage, but they tend to accidentally kill their very young goslings. So, I tried to find a gosling friend in my area. No luck, so I bought her 6 Pekin ducklings. The ducklings are at least a few days old, so they are just about the same size as the gosling, for now. There was a little consternation at first, but in the morning, all were cuddled together.

I am hatching goose eggs, had a temperature spike, and only one gosling hatched. I couldn't let her live alone, she is too young to give to her parents. I know, they could manage, but they tend to accidentally kill their very young goslings. So, I tried to find a gosling friend in my area. No luck, so I bought her 6 Pekin ducklings. The ducklings are at least a few days old, so they are just about the same size as the gosling, for now. There was a little consternation at first, but in the morning, all were cuddled together.
Sounds like it worked. Now we need some pics. @jake and pippa

We were gifted two baby mallards just last night. They're about a week younger so there's quite the size difference now. There was only a little bit of roughhousing when they were introduced. Our gosling was the youngest by a few days but she's now the biggest for sure.

EDIT TO ADD: we lost the little gosling pictured above. It had a crooked beak so I'd like to assume it was bad genes. The one we have now is happy and healthy. Our goose hatched 2 of 6 eggs for us

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom