Ducklings hate me!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RocketChick, Apr 29, 2009.

1. RocketChick

RocketChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    I have two chicks and two ducklings, all in the same brooder. (They get a long great by the way! Can't be without each other)

The chicks are fine with me, but the ducklings HATE my hands with a burning passion. They will scream if I look like I'm about to put my hands in the box and flee to the farthest corner. If I take one out, the one out will scream and flail, and the one in the brooder will scream for it's friend. It will try to jump off my hand onto the floor NO MATTER how high my hands are, it has fallen from a high height (it was fine, but still scared me!) just to get away from me!

I've tried to give them yogurt, they loved it but what they did was walk slowly to my hand, take some, then FLEE!

I got them from a classroom where they lived in a tank that did not have a lid. Kids would reach in to pet them and take them out all the time, they did not like it. Did this make them more harder to tame because they have a fear of hands? I'm not sure.

Also, one of the ducks seem to have separation anxiety? Everytime I take a chick out or a duck out, the duck squeaks and squeaks until the chick or duck returns. It's really annoying and makes me feel bad! Ah! And the ducks hate to be seperated, which is part of the reason they try to jump off my hand, because they want to find their screaming duck friend.

What do I do? I would love ducks that would run to meet me for treats like I've heard from other people.

2. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Don't know what to tell ya. My ducklings hate everyone! I have mallards so don't know if other breeds are tamer.
    Maybe try no sudden movements around them and treats when ever you stick a hand in to hold them.

Anyone else got any ideas?

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    its not you its just the way they are, they hate us, i dont know why but they do. at least mine do although my older ones still run the will proach me when they feel like it and get chatty thats about it though, they are nothing like chooks. Although there are some who can tame them I think that a lot of that has to do with that particular duck but in eneral they are scardy cats that only trust each other [​IMG]

4. JStark

JStark Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    Mine definitely have a love-hate relationship with me, but they seem to be growing more accustomed to me... maybe.

They do scream for each other and are absolutely positive I'm going to eat them every time I pick them up... but, when we are all outside, they run screaming to me wherever I go... and when I sit in the lawn chair, they cuddle up on my foot.

One in particular is very skittish of me, but they will all take to an open palm full of chopped cabbage, collards, and broccoli. Bring in the second hand, though, and it's "run!!! run!!! He's gonna eat us!!!"

5. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    Mine run up to my hand and like to peck at it and play with my ring..But If I go to grab one or pick it up they scream like Im killing them...But then when they see me coming with the newly filled water dish or feed and come running!! Mine are Mallards 3 weeks right now

6. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    Approaching very slowly seems to help. Mine will come to any outstretched hand full of greens!

7. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I am so glad you posted this! My runners hate me too! I thought I did something wrong! Now I know they are all crazy!![​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by