1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducklings hate water?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckLover179, Feb 20, 2011.

1. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    I gave them a bath in the sink (I posted a topic about a clogged nostril, so I bathed them), and they were FREAKING OUT! They were so scared. I was sure to make it warm and shallow, but they HATED it. Is there a way to get them to swim (Like "Regular" ducks)?

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes...give them a bath every day and they will get used to it. I put mine in the bath and also I have a cup of peas ready. They have a wash, then they get peas, then they have a wash & then peas, it goes on untill the peas are all gone then they swim round like scuba divers. I mushed up the peas the 1st week untill they could eat them whole.

3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    did you give them A way to get out of the water? Was the water running ? that might have startled them.

4. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    If they were not hatched under a mother duck, be sure to not leave them in the water until they have become fully feathered out. They will become watersoaked and drown.

5. DuckLover179

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    Quote:I had my hands in with them the whole time, so they could get out if they wanted to (Which they did). And no, the water wasn't running. Thanks gofasterstripe, Next time I will give them peas. [​IMG]

6. DuckLover179

Nov 28, 2010
    California

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by