Ducklings making a “phtt” noise - should I be concerned?

You could just cut the holes down a bit lower? I know it wont save your husband the trip now but not sure what you mean by rubber dish
The round dish thing didn’t work - the ducks got in it - so back to a jug and hopefully this works

The round dish thing didn’t work - the ducks got in it - so back to a jug and hopefully this works
Ah see that's why I wasn't sure what you meant, I pictured something they could get in to and didn't know if that was your intention or not! I think it doesn't really matter about them getting in so long as they can always get out again from a safety point of view, but it's the mess that's the problem so you could use it still but you would be cleaning up constantly!! You will be surprised how quickly they will out grow the milk jug and need it replacing with one with holes higher up again!

They still puff.......

I don't think it's anything to worry about, the sounds they are making on your videos seem perfectly normal, they probably just do it more while they're still so young and figuring out how this whole eating and nostrils thing works, that or I'm so used to my ducks doing it I just don't really notice it anymore.

Ah see that's why I wasn't sure what you meant, I pictured something they could get in to and didn't know if that was your intention or not! I think it doesn't really matter about them getting in so long as they can always get out again from a safety point of view, but it's the mess that's the problem so you could use it still but you would be cleaning up constantly!! You will be surprised how quickly they will out grow the milk jug and need it replacing with one with holes higher up again!

I don't think it's anything to worry about, the sounds they are making on your videos seem perfectly normal, they probably just do it more while they're still so young and figuring out how this whole eating and nostrils thing works, that or I'm so used to my ducks doing it I just don't really notice it anymore.
Ok - it was a new sound they were making and I don’t know what a sneeze sounds like with ducks - have a book about raising ducks and of corse no description in there. I’ve just read sinus infection is a big deal and easy for them to get, and I don’t want them to get sick - we really want to try duck eggs and possibly if they turn out to be great ducks, hatch some eggs for more and selling (1 drake and 3 hens is what we currently have).

I saw your other post and heard the sound that definitely sounds like more of a sneeze, but thought I'd put this here incase its a bit silly! I'm not saying they are too hot as they look comfortable in the brooder, but as it's a plastic sided box with the light pointing in could it be drying the air in there and the sneeze be an automatic response to moisten the nares?

I saw your other post and heard the sound that definitely sounds like more of a sneeze, but thought I'd put this here incase its a bit silly! I'm not saying they are too hot as they look comfortable in the brooder, but as it's a plastic sided box with the light pointing in could it be drying the air in there and the sneeze be an automatic response to moisten the nares?
No I appreciate any thoughts, since I’m new at this! I plan on stopping at a store today to get the Vet Rx - see if that helps. Thank you!!!!

Yep we can't do much about the dry air since we have to use a heat lamp or some other type of heating for them Just like in winter here boy the heat sure can dry a nose out.
Just remember just a tiny bit of Vet RX over the nares you don't want it going down into them. Instructions on the bottle too.

Back
Top Bottom