Ducklings panting/breathing heavily

axks

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2020
I have two four week old pekin ducklings that won't stop panting. It's about 70 degrees in the house and they have an ice pack right by them. One of my ducks is peeping really quietly mixed with strange honking sounds. I'm really concerned as they were just fine a while ago, playing and swimming without any problems. They eat, drink, and poop fine, it's just the constant panting. I know the breed is prone to overheating but I find it hard to believe that they're hot. I just gave them a bath, so if they had something up their nose they could clear it up, but it continued after that.

I wish I could attach a video, it would explain it better. (I've heard the video attachment doesn't work) I
I'm just very concerned. I'm unable to reach out to a vet at this time, due to the virus unfortunately.

One of my ducks is considerably bigger than the other, so could this be a weight related issue? I always give them access to food/water all day. My other ducklings have never exhibited this, until they were adults and I knew for a fact that they were just hot (90 degree weather).

Any help is appreciated!

Figured out how to attach a video, but the audio is messed up for some reason. At the start, the panting can be heard.

I have two four week old pekin ducklings that won't stop panting. It's about 70 degrees in the house and they have an ice pack right by them. One of my ducks is peeping really quietly mixed with strange honking sounds. I'm really concerned as they were just fine a while ago, playing and swimming without any problems. They eat, drink, and poop fine, it's just the constant panting. I know the breed is prone to overheating but I find it hard to believe that they're hot. I just gave them a bath, so if they had something up their nose they could clear it up, but it continued after that.

I wish I could attach a video, it would explain it better. (I've heard the video attachment doesn't work) I
I'm just very concerned. I'm unable to reach out to a vet at this time, due to the virus unfortunately.

One of my ducks is considerably bigger than the other, so could this be a weight related issue? I always give them access to food/water all day. My other ducklings have never exhibited this, until they were adults and I knew for a fact that they were just hot (90 degree weather).

Any help is appreciated!

Hello! I’m having the same exact issue. I have two Pekins and two Rouens, about four weeks old, and one Pekin is considerably larger than the other. She started the weird little honking noise a few days ago but I think that’s just her voice changing. They are inside and the temp is around 70 degrees but she is still panting off and on. They have free access to food and water but when she pants I give her a deeper bowl of water (in between bath times) and she drinks and blows her nose and then the panting seems to stop. I also wonder if she gets hot and pants because she is so much bigger than the others. Plus all four like to snuggle with each other so I’m sure that makes her hot too! You said yours still pants after being in the water though. I’m hoping to follow this thread and get some answers as well.

Hello! I’m having the same exact issue. I have two Pekins and two Rouens, about four weeks old, and one Pekin is considerably larger than the other. She started the weird little honking noise a few days ago but I think that’s just her voice changing. They are inside and the temp is around 70 degrees but she is still panting off and on. They have free access to food and water but when she pants I give her a deeper bowl of water (in between bath times) and she drinks and blows her nose and then the panting seems to stop. I also wonder if she gets hot and pants because she is so much bigger than the others. Plus all four like to snuggle with each other so I’m sure that makes her hot too! You said yours still pants after being in the water though. I’m hoping to follow this thread and get some answers as well.

I'm not sure if this would apply to your duckling, but it turns out mine had a respiratory infection. I talked to my friend who had a pretty similar issue with Pekins, and she recommended that I bought antibiotics for her. I went to the feed store and bought some Vetrx, and two days later she completely stopped panting, even in an 80-degree house, snuggled up to her other friend. I think in part it had to do with her voice change, which she developed two weeks in, which was a surprise to me, but the extended periods that she would peep were concerning to me. I really do feel bad for the little guys though, they grow massively so fast, no wonder they overheat so quickly.

I'm not sure if this would apply to your duckling, but it turns out mine had a respiratory infection. I talked to my friend who had a pretty similar issue with Pekins, and she recommended that I bought antibiotics for her. I went to the feed store and bought some Vetrx, and two days later she completely stopped panting, even in an 80-degree house, snuggled up to her other friend. I think in part it had to do with her voice change, which she developed two weeks in, which was a surprise to me, but the extended periods that she would peep were concerning to me. I really do feel bad for the little guys though, they grow massively so fast, no wonder they overheat so quickly.
Thank you for the information! Could it hurt to give the antibiotics if it turns out she doesn’t have an infection?

How much did you give and how often

Back
Top Bottom