Ducklings running around in the house

Mini Moe

Songster
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
I've read in a few threads where people talk about letting their ducklings/ducks run freely around the house. My question is: How are ya'all doing this without them making a mess while out and about? I've read about ducky diapers but once again, soneone on here stated their baby runs around without a diaper and it seems to be ok....

Also....i want to thank EVERYONE on these forums for answering questions regarding our babies since nothings better than a person who have went through this process of raising ducklings as well as chicks. THANK YOU

Truly...Sandra Moe
:/

I've read in a few threads where people talk about letting their ducklings/ducks run freely around the house. My question is: How are ya'all doing this without them making a mess while out and about? I've read about ducky diapers but once again, soneone on here stated their baby runs around without a diaper and it seems to be ok....

Also....i want to thank EVERYONE on these forums for answering questions regarding our babies since nothings better than a person who have went through this process of raising ducklings as well as chicks. THANK YOU

Truly...Sandra Moe
hmm.png
welcome-byc.gif
when I had a duckling in our house [his mama rejected him at hatch] I did buy a diaper for him but I also let him run around with out one mainly because I have very old wood floors and I would just use paper towels and vinegar water and clean up after him. If i could beat my dogs to it first
roll.png
where ever you let them run and play make sure it's not to slick a surface because that can cause leg issues. My floors aren't slick. but you could put down an old blanket and then wash it when it gets poopy

You are basically on constant poop duty, always a few steps behind them. I have no carpeting downstairs so sometimes I would let my ducklings or gosling run around for some exercise, but it was a full-time job cleaning up after them! I like those Lysol wipes.

I don't, nor would I ever, have an indoor duck. I have read here that they cannot have diapers on all of the time though.

Ducks that are raised indoors, especially as an only duck. Need to remain indoors for life, which is 8-15 years. They are a long term commitment. Ducks do best with other ducks so that they have someone to snuggle, sleep, play and act like a duck with.

Before you decide this, I would try to visit someone with ducks so you can see how often they poop. It is a LOT. And read through some of the threads posted by new owners on how messy/stinky they can be.

I agree jw, I would not have a full time duck in my house, this was our duckling that was also in a very large dog crate when we weren't able to be with it, but I did let him run around in the house from time to time and it was a challenge to keep the poo up. But if someone has their ducklings inside till they get old enought to put outside I see nothing wrong with them letting them have some exercise out side of their brooder as long as they are aware of the mess it will create. Even now our drake that we had inside still will come in and visit if the dog door is open, and he still will poop but I always clean it up and back out he goes. Some Might find that disgusting but to each his own.

The only time I let ducklings, and now chicks, run around in my house is twice a day for some exercise and they MUST stay on the sheet.
big_smile.png

It is still far too cold for them to go outside and I think it is really important that they really run around and jump and flap when they are young for good development, so I have a few twin and queen size flat sheets that I rotate through that I put on the floor as a playground area.

I should probably clarify. I've brooded ducklings inside before.
sickbyc.gif
But I wouldn't have a house duck. I will do my best to not have the stinky little poop machines inside again, as cute as they are, but if rejected by mom, injured, etc, I would bring them in, but doubtful they would be running around.

I gotcha! Thanks everyone for the advice. I really do appreciate it. My initial intentions were to kept them in their brooder until they've aquired their featherd then out they go, which will be a bit hot out here in CA. We're going to create a movable pond and covering for them!

Thanks again, Sandy in Sac

To each their own about how they feel about how to raise their babies. Myself if does not bother me to clean up after the ducklings chickens puppies even raised a squirrel indoors. Yes it's work but if you think about it a baby who is spitting up or a diaper does not fit correctly or runs around without a diaper cause they got away after a bath ect is worse smell and a lot more to clean up. I used to breed dogs and being valuable show dogs they were in the house. They got attention I could watch them to spot problem if any quickly and that is how I raise my ducklings. If they want to come in and visit that's fine. I rather have a friendly animal than one that is afraid of me. That is how I do it and I go through quite a bit of toliet paper

To each their own about how they feel about how to raise their babies. Myself if does not bother me to clean up after the ducklings chickens puppies even raised a squirrel indoors. Yes it's work but if you think about it a baby who is spitting up or a diaper does not fit correctly or runs around without a diaper cause they got away after a bath ect is worse smell and a lot more to clean up. I used to breed dogs and being valuable show dogs they were in the house. They got attention I could watch them to spot problem if any quickly and that is how I raise my ducklings. If they want to come in and visit that's fine. I rather have a friendly animal than one that is afraid of me. That is how I do it and I go through quite a bit of toliet paper
It's paper towels with me.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom