ducklings sneezing and having a snotty nose after taking a bath

May 8, 2023
hi! my ducklings just came out of their bath and they have a runny nose all of the sudden and they coughed up some snotty substance too, they seem to be doing fine and they’re running around, did they just inhale to much water?

hi! my ducklings just came out of their bath and they have a runny nose all of the sudden and they coughed up some snotty substance too, they seem to be doing fine and they’re running around, did they just inhale to much water?
Was this their first bath ?
How old ? Do you provide a water dish deep enough for dunking the head in the brooder ?
My thought is they just cleared out their nares and are probably just fine
But as all duck moms we worry like crazy :)

Hello!
What was the nasal discharge like? Was it watery and clear? If so, likely just water from flushing their nares.
The coughing up is a little bit weird though, did the substance shoot out from their mouths? If so, were you by any chance touching their crops? Sometimes if they experience pressure to that area, they can "throw up". (Not actually throw up, but that's the best way I can describe it).

Was this their first bath ?
How old ? Do you provide a water dish deep enough for dunking the head in the brooder ?
My thought is they just cleared out their nares and are probably just fine
But as all duck moms we worry like crazy :)
nope, and one is around 1 and a half week and the other is 2 weeks old! and yes i do!! their bath is around 20 cm deep and their water dish is around 7, maybe 10! and yeah i think so too :) im just scared they’ll get hurt or sick lol !

Hello!
What was the nasal discharge like? Was it watery and clear? If so, likely just water from flushing their nares.
The coughing up is a little bit weird though, did the substance shoot out from their mouths? If so, were you by any chance touching their crops? Sometimes if they experience pressure to that area, they can "throw up". (Not actually throw up, but that's the best way I can describe it).
yeah it was watery and a little clear but it was more a non see troughish clear, like snot or something🤢 and they like gorgled or something and then shoot it out like they were spitting, figured they probably inhaled some water or something and thought they were done with it so i put them back with mom, checked on them about a hour later and they had very snotty noses, still the same color and they could breathe but still weird

So you took them away from mom so they could have a bath? was the water warm? Mamas are really good about teaching their ducklings what is safe and what isn't. I wouldn't have a pool set up that the ducklings can get into at their age. But a small pan of water on a nice warm day that has sat for a while to warm up would probably make them all happy. My mama and duckling started out with a cement mixing tub with a large rock on the inside and out so they could easily get in and out of it.

Back
Top Bottom