Ducklings telling a hen from a drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Batty about Banties, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Batty about Banties

Batty about Banties Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    I am wanting to get a couple ducklings and was wondering if there was a way to tell a hen from a drake in a 14 day old Muscovy duckling? How about at 5 weeks?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I was given a duckling to raise two weeks ago- I dont normally take too much interest in the rescue ones at that age as generally they are only here a short time until good homes can be found, but the little muscovy was a lone baby in the house- so I have grown quite fond of it- to the point that yesterday I got it a friend. I did ask the lady if she could pick out one that was more likely a female- and she was looking for one with a more rounded head and shorter body length. The new one is only a few days old- and of course I have no idea of she was right in picking that one. I wanted to at least try to have a pair if not 2 females as they will be easier to find homes for than 2 drakes. Time will tell.... But I do know that with older duckling- body length and foot size are two things people look at when trying to sex a muscovy. There are probably other things too, but I havent had a lot of muscovies over the years so not too sure what.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by