Ducklings with chicks?Please help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bluemini, Mar 1, 2014.

1. bluemini

bluemini Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Can they be together? They are the same size. I went to get 6 chicks from TSC,got 4 golden comet pullets and 2 asst. brahma I believe,straight run ? Got 2 ducklings,they are blk with some yellow,said assorted,they are so tiny. Will try and post pics in a few :)

Also one had stuff on its bottom to where it couldn't use the bathroom,it finally came off.Will he be okay and what do I do if this happens again?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    You may be able to keep the ducks with chicks for a short while, but soon they will start making a mess of the waterer and get the bedding pretty wet. Then they will start to grow bigger than the chicks and they might be rough on them. When we raised ducklings they just loved to dabble in their water and they really are messier than chicks. I would get another bin/brooder ready for them.

People call that "pasty butt" and it ids not unusual, just use a damp towel to help remove the crust.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  3. latb611

latb611 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2014
    I have been keeping my ducks with my chicks and they do play in the water but I just change the bedding more often. I also take the ducks out occasionally and put them in a tub with a few inches of water. Someone else told me that as they get bigger you can raise the waterer off the ground a little to keep them from playing in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by