Ducklings with Gapeworm

DaYooper_Duck

Songster
Apr 28, 2020
Upper Michigan
I have seen signs of gapeworm in my 6ish week old ducklings for about 2 weeks or so (occasional coughing, thin build). My dad went and picked up this livestock dewormer meant for cattle, horses, swine, and turkeys but I am unsure as to whether this would work for ducklings. One person said not to feed it while birds are growing feathers, so should I hold off on giving it to them or just feed it sparingly? What dosage should I give, and does it eradicate gapeworms completely?

Here are photos of the packaging if it helps.
20200708_193716.jpg
20200708_193848.jpg
20200708_193909.jpg
20200708_193929.jpg

Are you absolutely SURE your ducks have gapeworm? It doesn't sound like it, from what you described. When a bird had gapeworm, they have outstretched necks and gasp repetedly. That's because the worm is physically blocking their windpipe. Many times somebody will instantly assume their birds have gapeworm and treat for the wrong illness, when in reality gapeworm is very uncommon. Occasional sneezing isn't really an indicator. It could be a number of illnesses. Any other symptoms?

I agree with @FluffyButtBabies , Poultry seldom are affected by Gapeworm, and it's even rarer with Waterfowl, so take the time to consider other possible, more common cause's before you treat, so you're not treating the wrong thing while the main problem progress.

The number one cause we see coughing/sneezing with waterfowl is lack of deep water, how deep is yours, do you have a picture of their setup? Waterfowl should have access to head deep water all day, so they clean their nares, and eyes.

Two of them in particular cough,wheeze,sneeze, almost constantly, and stretch their necks while gaping. They have access to 3 inch deep water in the coop at night, and clean 5+ inch water during the day in which they dunk their heads while drinking. I do not have a pic of the setup, but I may take a few tomorrow if need be.

That's a good video. I'm not really a duck person, so I'm not sure what it could be. It might even be an unspecific illness. If you choose to treat for gapeworm, you could possibly use the yellow feed.
Fenbendazole 5-20 mg/kg of body weight, administered orally, once a day for 5 days
OR
Thiabendazole 100 mg/kg of body weight, administered by mouth SID for 7-10 days

I'm pretty sure that's meant as a serum, but it should work with the feed as well, because Fenabendazole is an active ingredient in it.

You should try posting on the Duck Forum (just scroll down a bit). They should be able to help you a lot better!

I didn't see any neck stretching, which is pretty indicative of gapeworm. Is it hot where you are? Doesn't really look like panting, but just checking. What are you feeding regularly? Also, is there any way they could be eating bees or little stinging fly things? My goose ate a bunch of these things,
20200425_195029_HDR.jpg

and had very similar symptoms. They were all over his water bucket, and he ate a lot of them. Not saying it's the same thing, but you might want to check and see if you see anything around. They might be getting into something while free ranging.

Back
Top Bottom