Ducklings with Gapeworm

Yeah, I always have to soak the crumbles for mine. They get them so stuck in their throats. I think they eat too fast, lol.

I ran out of pellets once too so I offered it to them for a few days, and during the entire period, all day, you'd hear loud cough's, sneezes, and a little bit of panting.

I hadn't heard that before...they do infact do a little motion with their necks after taking a large mouthful. Should I start feeding pellets instead?

You could either soak the crumbles with water or switch over to pellets and see if it stops. If you decide to soak, the feeder, and feed should be changed/cleaned daily to prevent mold growth.

I ran out of pellets once too so I offered it to them for a few days, and during the entire period, all day, you'd hear loud cough's, sneezes, and a little bit of panting.
Yeah. I have used mazuri starter for my duckling which is those floating pellets, and I love it. It is on the pricy side unfortunately though. I only use it for the first few weeks. When I switch to crumbles I give the pan for like, 30 seconds, then take it away for a few minutes, then give it back for 30 seconds or so... Lol
They sure do scarf it down. I have seen Purina duck pellets at our local TSC though, they just recently started stocking it. Might be an answer to my prayers, I'm going to start trying it. I've read a lot of good things about it.

Fenbendazole 5-20 mg/kg of body weight, administered orally, once a day for 5 days
Where did you find that dosing?

Anyway, I think the gapeworm dose is actually 30 mg/kg for five days.
To treat, use Safeguard for goats. Give 0.14 ml per pound of bodyweight for 5 consecutive days.

Back
Top Bottom