Ducks acting strange all of a sudden, scared, quacking non stop, acting like I'm a stranger?

Uhh....you're not supposed to give garlic or onion to ducks. At all. It's very harmful to them.

The perennial 'garlic/onion/alliums are DEADLY!' issue is one I've looked into quite exhaustively, for multiple species, and found it's nothing more than basically scaremongering about a potential extremely slight risk, which actually in most cited cases was based on correlation, with no proven causation, and in test cases for studies is still very rare and needs artificial induction.

It's one of those risks which for all intents and purposes is not worth freaking out about at any point. Unless you're forcibly stuffing kilos of garlic into your ducks every week. In which case, the vast majority of nutrients are equally dangerous, many more so; many would kill far sooner than garlic if you did the same with them.

"Alliums are deadly because a horse became sick in a paddock containing many herbs and we decided it was probably the oniongrass". Er, no, LOL. (That's actually what one of the studies cited as 'proving' the allium family is so dangerous is based on, I kid you not). It's laughable.

Anything in too high a dose is dangerous no matter how vital it is for life in the correct dosage.

To put this in perspective, one could also legitimately apply that thinking re: allium to every single nutrient, vitamin, mineral, water, or oxygen. Many of these things carry far greater risk to our animals than the edible members of the allium family, but perspective on the issue is sadly lacking.

Blowing a risk severely and hysterically out of proportion is what I'd describe the unfortunately very popular anti-allium notion as, since I have looked into it thoroughly and found nothing to support it being more dangerous than any other dietary component.

Note: I'm not suggesting to feed garlic in large doses to ducks at any point. It does not need feeding in truly large dosage at pretty much any stage for the majority of all possible reasons. I just tried to give you some examples on how heavy metals are removed by natural dietary additions.

If you believe you've got some better info on it, please, by all means, provide that.

Best wishes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom