Ducks and chickens in NH

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DuckMamaNH, Oct 28, 2012.

1. DuckMamaNH

DuckMamaNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Hi everyone, I'm looking forward to chatting with fellow chicken and duck lovers! I'm sure I'll be posting questions, and maybe answers too. We've had chickens in the past, and this time, we are adding ducks to the mix. We do have some experience with ducks--we raised wild Mallard ducklings this Summer, that are now back in the great outdoors--but there are still many unknowns with domestic ducks.

We decided to start with our ducks right away and chickens in the Spring. We have 2 Welsh Harlequins who are five weeks old, plus 2 Runners and 1 Khaki Campbell who are two weeks old. The Welsh Harlequins are male and female, so we're looking forward to baby ducklings in the Spring, as well as eggs to eat.

Talk to you all soon.

2. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
  3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

4. ChickenFootRnch

ChickenFootRnch Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    East TN
    Welcome aboard!! I have a male and female Pekin, the kids want more breeds. Dont know about that.

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. LissyB

LissyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey! Welcome! I have 2 Khaki Campbell eggs in the bator due to hatch the 31st! I'm new to this too so, I'm gonna have more questions than answers, but just thought I'd say hello![​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, DuckMamaNH, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our flock! I love ducks as well. Good luck on your spring hatch and have fun on BYC!!

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    [​IMG]

10. DuckMamaNH

DuckMamaNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Thank you to everyone who has welcomed me to the "flock"! [​IMG] It's nice to have a place to chat with other duck-lovers.

To be honest, it never even occurred to me to have domestic ducks as egg-layers until this past summer. I'm glad that the Mallards came into our lives and broke us in for duck-raising. I love all birds, but have always had a soft spot for ducks (is it the bill? the waddle? the webbed feet?) and am so happy that they are now a part of our household. Our two Welshies share my birthday...how ironic...definitely one of the best birthday presents ever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by